Linux sudden file system corruption

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SergeyC2, Sep 24, 2020.

1. SergeyC2

SergeyC2 Bit poster

I have 2 virtual machines with Ubuntu 20.04, both were converted from VMWare.

They work well, however, approximately once in a day or two, at random moments, without any apparent reason, not linked to some specific actions, a massive file system corruption happens. Linux hangs, a lot of errors on the root filesystem is reported in dmesg, and the VM becomes unbootable until reverted to a good snapshot.

The issue never happened with these VMs on VMWare. I checked the filesystems after conversion from vmware to parallels images to make sure there are no errors.

This does not seem to happen with Windows VMs converted from VMWare.

Please let me know which data I can gather to diagnose the issue.

I was going to purchase a subscription to parallels but this issue unfortunately makes it unusable for me.

2. SergeyC2

SergeyC2 Bit poster

This is probably related to NVMe virtual hard disk. I'm going to see if this happens with SATA.

3. SergeyC2

SergeyC2 Bit poster

The issue does not appear so far after changing the virtual hard disk to SATA.

The following message appeared in the log few minutes before the issue happened last time:
    09-24 20:00:51.000 F /LocalDevices:23539:e42da/ [NVMe][Nsid:0][Sqid:0] Feature Id: 0x07 NVME_FEATURE_NUMBER_OF_QUEUES: DW10:0x00000007 DW11:0x001F001F

While this did not seem to indicate an error by itself, this made me think this was somehow related to NVMe, and it looks like it was a correct guess.

However, Windows VMs are not affected by the issue.

Please let me know how I can help to diagnose and fix this.

4. JasperV3

JasperV3 Junior Member

I'm seeing the same issue, submitted report ID 350789329. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Install Ubuntu (20.04.1, in this case)
    2. Using Hardware config tab, a second hard disk with Location set to NVMe.
    3. Start Ubuntu and open Disks program
    4. Select the NVMe drive, click the gear item and select "Benchmark Partition"
    5. Click the "Start Benchmark", enable "Perform write-benchmark"

With these steps, the VM freezes instantly. Switching the location back to SATA:0:2 resolves the issue. Under normal circumstances the freezing occurs intermittently.

5. SergeyC2

SergeyC2 Bit poster

Jasper,
    thank you for your research and report!

6. JasperV3

JasperV3 Junior Member

This appears to still be an issue with Parallels 16.1

SergeyC2 likes this.
  7. DavidC81

DavidC81 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 16.1 and I had this same problem with nvme and Linux Guest OS. It fixed when I stopped using nvme.