Max fans with Parallels 3 and MacBook

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by md2017, Nov 3, 2007.

1. md2017

md2017 Bit poster

I'm using a MacBook C2D 2GHz (BlackBook) with parallels 5160.

Inevitably, whatever I do, when I start parallels, the fan speed maxes out, smcfancontrol showing >6000rpm. I haven't found a virus or spyware. I've removed all non-essential processes. The fan noise is loud, and surely isn't by design.

Anyone else experiencing similar, or got any ideas?

Nick

2. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

How much memory do you have in your MacBook and how much memory do you have configured for your Windows VM (presuming that is what you are tring to run)?
    Lowering the memory in your VM may better your performance..

3. md2017

md2017 Bit poster

Thanks - 2GB RAM, I allocate 512MB.

4. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

For example:
    On my Macbook with on 1G ram, XP Pro SP2 set up working from its boot camp partition with 256mb ram works fine. If I set it to 512mb it has showed the symptoms you are showing.

5. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

Is that what you had when you were having problems or what you have set now?

6. austinso

austinso Bit poster

Did you try removing iTunes from the VM? There is a process that runs in the background (I forget what it is), that seems to contribute to this...

Also, SMCfancontrol seems to overreact for me, so I've removed that too.

Believe me, the Macbook (I have the older version Core Duo) when the fan goes is like having a freaking hair blower running...will always happen when running video...up until the 5160 release I couldn't use it without feeling like tossing the thing out the window...

Austin

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007