macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. DaniilP1

DaniilP1 Bit poster

Thanks!

2. ITS22

ITS22 Bit poster

Is there a plan to support installation of Parallels 15 on macOS Big Sur in the future, or will Parallels 16 be required?

3. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

It would be better if you upgrade to Parallels Desktop 16 as it will be fully compatible but Parallels Desktop 15 is partially compatible.

4. JulsS

JulsS Member

Anyone able to get Big Sur as Guest OS to run with a video resolution other than 1024x768? The release notes for Parallels 16.1.0 say it is fixed, but my public beta 6 guest VM is still locked at 1024x768. I've updated the tools, set the graphics to 64MB and best for retina, and I am using the Parallels hypervisor.

juls

5. IainF

IainF Bit poster

I've installed PD 16.1 and my Big Sur VM was still locked at 1024x768. I though it might be because I'd created it in the previous PD version so I trashed it. I haven't tried to re-create it yet.
    More worryingly, my Mac OSX 10.6 server VM that has been running OK for years just installed an update to Parallels tools and after restart that VM was also restricted to 1024x768!!! Luckily I had a backup and trashed the updated version and stopped the tools update when I next launched. It now shows the usual multiple resolutions and can get up to full screen resolution on my 27 in monitor.
    Not sure what is going on with PD at present.
    BTW my Windows 10 64 VM seems unaffected after installing a tools update.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Iain

6. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

@JulsS Have you tried changing the Hypervisor to Apple?

7. IainF

IainF Bit poster

Hi @JulsS
    I have now and no dice. I changed the hypervisor to Apple but no help. Tried turning off 'adaptive hypervisor' restarted but no help. I should say that after starting up the Parallels tools update started and I couldn't cancel it and I was back to 1024x768!
    I've trashed my VM again and will see what happens.
    Is there a way to stop the update of parallels tools?
    Cheers
    Iain

8. JulsS

JulsS Member

Yes. No change. Still at 1024x768 using the Apple Hypervisor. My host is running Catalina.

9. madcran

madcran Bit poster

I too have a 10.6 Server VM I need for older applications that now only supports 1024X768. Please help, as I use this every day at my work and the app we use is now bigger than the screen size. I'll have to see if I have the installer for the older version of Parallels 11. I was a beta tester for 11 and never had this issue during the beta, so this has to be a new issue that cropped up while possibly fixing other issues.

10. madcran

madcran Bit poster

Oops, my previous post says Parallels 11, I meant Parallels 16. Call it a brain fart. :D

11. madcran

madcran Bit poster

I just went to close down my Mac for the night and found the new update seems to have broken Sleep in 10.6 Server as well. I normally put 10.6 Server to sleep and then quit Parallels so that in the morning I don't have date and time issues. 10.6 does not allow me to put the OS to sleep, at all. Shut Down and Restart work fine. It's not the end of the world, but please look into this bug as well. Thank you.

12. IainF

IainF Bit poster

I'll have a go at re-creating a Big Sur VM in PD 16.1 when I get time and see if this works in terms of screen resolution.
    As far as a Mac OS 10.6 VM, i'm just having to abort the Parallels tools update each time I launch (you have to be quick to click the red 'close' button at the top left or it doesn't seem to work.) In addition I've created a snapshot that I could hopefully roll back to if I miss stopping the update, (and I've also saved a copy of the VM to my NAS)
    If the change has already been made and your 10.6 resolution has already been limited to 1024x768 then I can only suggest restoring from a backup.
    Good luck.
    Hopefully this will be sorted.
    Cheers
    Iain

13. madcran

madcran Bit poster

Thanks @IainF I think I have a Time Machine backup. Luckily the apps are all the same on the VM, all the data we use is on a server elsewhere. Appreciate the help, can't wait to see if a fix comes out soon.

14. OAW

OAW Junior Member

Baseline: I'm running Parallels 16.1.0 with a Win 10 VM on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5395g).
    Cisco AnyConnect for Mac 4.8.03052: I'm able to connect to my work VPN and use my Windows 10 VM without incident.
    Cisco AnyConnect for Mac 4.9.03047: This is the first release that officially supports the latest macOS Big Sur beta. It also uses System Extensions instead of Kernel Extensions. It connects to my work VPN and seems to work from the macOS side. Unfortunately, my Windows 10 VM doesn't see the VPN connection at all. I can't access file shares, SQL databases, legacy apps, etc. I was forced to uninstall and then re-install the previous version which has its annoyances with macOS Big Sur but is at lease functional.

15. Hello, you're using Sharing network mode on your Windows VM, right?

16. Hello, it looks like a known issue and it has been already escalated to the Parallels Engineering Team.
    In order to investigate it further please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Looking forward to your reply

17. OAW

OAW Junior Member

Indeed that setting is selected. As I mentioned above it works with the earlier version of AnyConnect but not with the latest.

18. Howyagoin

Howyagoin Junior Member

Looks like there is a minor UI issue with Version 16.1.0 (48950) and Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta (20B5012d). The full-size Control Center no longer displays the various icons for starting a VM, Settings, or Manage Snapshots. It's just a tiny "." instead.

Attached Files:

MartinM21 and GillesB like this.
  19. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

Yeah, I see that too with my Boot Camp.

20. MaksimT1

MaksimT1 Bit poster

Is there a plan to support installation of Parallels 14 on macOS Big Sur?