Migrating AWS instance to Parallels (W2008 Server)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CharlesR3, Oct 25, 2020.

1. CharlesR3

CharlesR3 Junior Member

I have used Transporter tool to create a PVM from a Windows 2008 Server instance on AWS... the export ran OK, but the import hangs on configuration. After crashing Parallels desktop I can see the device is in a loop continually blue screening and attempting to boot again. There are only memory references on the Blue screen no error codes or hardware clues, screen shot attached from a screen movie I made to see what was going on.

Has anyone successfully moved a VM from AWS to Parallels?

Attached Files:

2. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

I haven't migrated EC2 to Parallels, but if you can't get it working, might want to try AWS --> VMware --> Parallels. Both AWS and VMW have converter tools. If you can get it working in VMW, you can then import that to PD. I only suggest VMW since it's a more-common conversion to/from AWS with more documentation/discussion online. I've done that successfully in the past, but it was a long time ago.

3. CharlesR3

CharlesR3 Junior Member

Thanks.... will have a look at that option, I also have a support ticket open with PD see what they can advise as well. I think moving VMs will become a popular topic in the future for small businesses and home users.

4. CharlesR3

CharlesR3 Junior Member

Donik: Final reply on assistance from PD support desk... your spot on this is the only option... if it works???

... Also as of now, there is no such option to convert an Amazon EC2 instance to Parallels virtual machine.
    The virtual machine to virtual machine conversion is applicable for VMware fusion, Oracle virtual machine to Parallels Desktop only.
    Converting a third-party virtual machine to a Parallels Desktop virtual machine: https://kb.parallels.com/124491

5. abdulh9

abdulh9 Bit poster

Hey there! I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon your post about migrating an AWS instance to Parallels.

6. abdulh9

abdulh9 Bit poster

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing issues with the import process. While I haven't personally moved a VM from AWS to Parallels, I understand your frustration. Apologies for reviving a months-old thread, but I'm actually looking for similar information myself. I recently discovered some info about AWS certifications that might be helpful. Have you considered getting certified in AWS? It could help you gain a deeper understanding of AWS and make the migration process smoother. Just a thought!