RC Guest Steals Airport IP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ivel, May 18, 2006.

1. ivel

ivel Member

Has anyone else had the error where your Guest recieves the IP that your Host had. An error message then comes up saying that it stole the Host IP. If you try to browse the web in OS X it doesn't work; but works perfectly in XP. Is this something others have seen?

Thanks,
    -Levi

2. tomhalv

tomhalv Member

Yes... I have the same problem with my MBP. This didn't exist in B6. But, I can still browse the web in OS X. It just kicks it up to the next IP slot given out by my browser. But that can't last forever....

3. raleedy

raleedy Member

Not so lucky

After installing the RC, I have network access in Windows, but not in OSX.:mad:

4. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Something is defintely broken.

5. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

Same experience here. I ended up going back and setting a static IP on the Mac side of things which allowed both environments to communicate simultaneously. Clearly not an ideal solution for the long haul but as long as I don't travel.
    I ran the removal utility before installing RC and then re-installed Parallels Tools before I did anything else after the update. As soon as the XP instances acquires it's IP, OSX starts generating duplicate IP address alerts. Once that starts, repeatedly trying to renew the DHCP address in OSX fails.

6. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I had this problem from time to time in Beta 6. Not often, but now and then.

7. dotdd

dotdd Junior Member

8. dylansm

dylansm Member

This host-only workaround doesn't work for me. No internet on guest.

Please fix this IP-stealing thing ASAP! It's really a drag. Also, it takes much longer to actually "steal" the IP address (get an IP) than it did previously.

However, it's really only a drag because there are so many improvements in RC that I don't want to go back to beta 6. Such as:

1. Much faster boot time
    2. Great new ctrl key mapping using shift key.
    3. Uninstall feature.

The list goes on... Good job Parallels. Now please, please issue a hotfix to prevent this IP stealing issue.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  9. rtamesis

rtamesis Junior Member

Make sure you click the start button in Internet Sharing

After checking the box for Internet sharing using the Ethernet adapter (en2), be sure to click the start button to actually make Mac OSX share its internet connection. I kept making the mistake of just checking the box and then closing the window and not getting connectivity inside the VM.

10. cmpi

cmpi Junior Member

Have the same problem. However, if I go to the network control Panel and click "Renew DHCP Lease" on (Airport interface) my network comes back immediatly

I guess if you use ethernet the same might apply

11. dylansm

dylansm Member

It turns out Host-Only seems to be the way to go for me. I got it working (rtamesis, maybe you were right -- doh!). It seems to work really well, and it's probably safer when running Windows anyway. Everything seems to work just fine now.

12. A4Cab

A4Cab Bit poster

I tried your workaround, and it doesn't restore internet connectivity.

Beta 6 was working just fine for me, I should have left well enough alone. Now I have no internet connectivity in the VM. My sole purpose for using Parallels is to access MSN video that will only play using a combination of Internet Explorer 6 and Windows Media Player.

I'm not a network administrator, just a journalist with a MacBook Pro. I want this software to work out of the package with little fiddling. Heck, I've pre-paid. I hope this is straightened out soon, it's frustrating.

13. RobH

RobH Bit poster

Workaround works for me.

I loaded up IE and it took a few seconds to detect proxy settings, but after that all was fine.

14. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

15. RobH

RobH Bit poster

Actually, there's a strange side effect when using this workaround. Even though I have enabled FTP Access in the Sharing control panel of OS X, I can't fully log in to a site using FTP in Windows.

It successfully validates the login details but refuses to list the files. If I go back to using Bridged Ethernet as the network adapter, then it's OK (but still with the IP conflict problem).

It's good to hear that the original issue has been fixed.