Major issue when reclaiming disk space

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Brett_Conlon, Feb 20, 2019.

1. LukasV1

LukasV1 Bit poster

Hello guys. I've had the same issue and coincidentally what solved it for me was copying the pvm file (554GB) from my Parallels folder out to an external disk. I managed to open my virtual machine from there. Then I moved it back to my internal HDD and it's fully working again! The fact that I haven't lost the image made my day so I hope this will help someone else too. ;)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  2. DanJ3

DanJ3 Bit poster

I found this thread by running into the same issue on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I've been a long-time Parallels user, but this is the first time I've tried reclaiming space on a Windows 10 virtual disk. Now I can't launch Parallels, but it my MacOS ADFS SSD seems okay, thankfully. I'm trying to restore the Win 10 PVM file from a backup. You'd think this would get a little more attention from Parallels.

3. Damodar1

Damodar1 Bit poster

I am also facing same issue with the same MacOS after reclaim. Parallels completely stopped working. I dont have even access to reach out to Support center via Chat though I have got Permanent license on MacOS.

Any pointers for resolution is highly appreciated.

4. Hello, what is your Parallels Desktop version?

5. Walravine

Walravine Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 13, High Sierra 10.13.6, internal SSD, and Windows 10. Like everyone else, I stupidly clicked on Reclaim Disk Space thinking it would only take a couple minutes. Nope. The progress indicator moved along to about a third of the way and then stopped. Five minutes later, my Macbook Pro froze, with only the cursor arrow able to move. Shortly after that, everything froze. And then after that, my screen went dark with only the backlight on. I was sorely tempted to forcibly shut it all down and restart but I resisted and let it all sit overnight, thinking (hoping!) that somewhere deep in the recesses of my laptop there was a chip doing...something. Next morning everything was fine! So, as everyone has pointed out, this process takes a looooooong time. Hours! If you computer appears rock solid frozen, don't despair and whatever you do don't forcibly shut down your computer. Parallels really needs to place a strong warning next to the Reclaim Disk Space button explaining what to expect. Had I known the process would take hours and make my computer behave as if it had turned into a brick, I don't think I would have used the feature.

6. MichaelH62

MichaelH62 Bit poster

Same issue. Stuck at about 33% for hours. Catalina 10.15.7, 32GB RAM, SSD HD, Parallels 16 Pro Edition v 16.0.1

7. Hi, could you update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build 16.1.1. and check the issue please?

8. Ian13

Ian13 Bit poster

The lack of warning in P15 that reclaim disk space would be a long or risky process is very frustrating. I see it mentioned in the forums that Parallels warns users to backup before running disk reclaim but I saw no such warning in the UI either before or after pressing reclaim.

Also, the progress meter is very non linear. I was stuck at 33% for 99% of the time of the process

9. MichaelH62

MichaelH62 Bit poster

16.1.1 was stuck at "Starting..." on booting into Windows for a long time, but after letting it go overnight, it was indeed fine the next morning. Thanks!

10. MichaelR56

MichaelR56 Bit poster

Hi please if you are able to contact me! I am having this issue and need to know what happens if I've shut down my computer while the process was going! 703.980.9122 I'll pay you for your time or on Instagram @michaelerogers18

11. SantiagoPag

SantiagoPag Bit poster

this problem persists in version 16 pro edition inclusive.
    basically the virtual machine breaks when you try to recover that, you lose all your data and that's it.

support does not help at all. They tell you send a report and there is everything.

Sad but real

12. RHS

RHS Hunter

This thread is still going! Sadly, I think Parallels has given up on this. I think there is nothing they can do. I could be wrong but I feel there are 2 things you can do:
    1) back up everything you possibly can, make sure you have your licenses and installs, and wipe out your VM. Recreate it with as a static disk.
    2) move your VM to an external thunderbolt SSD like I did. It works great. I reclaim disk space all the time with no issues at all. Make sure you purchase a SSD with a very high data transfer rate.

13. SW22

SW22 Bit poster

Even after years of customer complaints, this extremely inconveniencing problem is still an issue. I tried 'reclaiming disk space' today after reading Kurt Schmucker's (Parallels Senior Product Manager's) post in which he mentions that reclaiming 23GB of disk space took him only 17 minutes. But, although I tried reclaiming a mere 6.5GB on a smaller overall VM, Parallels has for hours only shown a black screen with my cursor flickering sporadically with that blue animated circle from Windows, indicating that Parallels is still working on something.

Has anyone else tried this reported solution of uninstalling and uninstalling Parallels?

14. ParallelsU922

ParallelsU922 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm using Parralels / VM Windows 10 on MAC for few days without any problems until I used the Disk space Reclaim. Now, each time I'm trying to start Windows, my MAC reboot. It seems I will have to reinstall my Windows VM. And I guess loosing everything on the 'way'.... I did send the 'report' to Apple.

15. ParallelsU922

ParallelsU922 Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 17 standard edition Version 17.1.2 (51548) on maOS Catalina Version 10.15.7

16. ParallelsU922

ParallelsU922 Bit poster

Good news I guess, before deleting my Vm machine, I created a copy of the Vm in problem. By doing so (it took around an hour to Parralels), the 'size' of the PVM file changed about the space it was supposed to 'release', in my case about 35 GIG. And of course, my copy got the same smaller size.

So, I try again to start my original PVM and it worked perfectly. As well my copy. Really strange and unless I'm 'force' to execute the 'reclaim', I will never do that. But I provide a maximum size to Windows to avoid to use my entire disk space on my MAC.

Marc