iSight drivers not working in Vista, Parallels build 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ect0, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ect0

ect0 Bit poster

iSight drivers not working in Vista, Parallels build 5160:

My OS: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000] (Vista Business)
    My Parallels build: 5160
    My hardware: a recently purchased Macbook Pro with a built in iSight (Oct. 2007)

Outcome: iSight shows up conflicted in Device Manager, but refuses to take iSight drivers from BootCamp v1.4 and v2.0.

I'm sure this is a problem many people are beginning to running into.
    It is an important one to have fixed and will become more prevalent over time.
    Vista will be what people will migrate towards.

Let me know if I can post any more information that might aid the Vista drivers issue.
    (If there's an Apple forum for this, I will repost it there, too.)

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

first of all, you should install Apple Boot Camp. Only then you can install iSight and use it. Please, follow the steps to install Boot Camp drives:

1. Download and install latest Apple Boot Camp 1.3 from http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ .

2. Browse to Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities.

3. Select the "Boot Camp Assistant" icon and push the Action button. After that, select from the menu "Show Package Contents".

4. Go to Contents->Resources and click the DiskImage.dmg to mount it.

Then, you should extract drivers:
    1. Create a folder on the Vista desktop called drivers. Open mounted CD and copy and paste the exe file found on the disk to the drivers folder on your desktop.
    2. Open up Command Prompt by typing cmd in the new Windows Vista search/start bar in the Start Menu.
    Once open, type cd Desktop\drivers
    Nothing will happen. Now type "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v

It will take a second for the security prompt to open and when it does click ok and it will proceed to extract the drivers into the folder on the desktop.

After this, you should install iSight:
    Launch the control panel and get into the device manager. Once you have done this go to sub-category called "Imaging Devices". Hopefully, there is only one item in the list. Right click the item and select "Update Driver Software". Manually install the driver by choosing "Browse My Computer For Driver Software" also tick "Let Me Pick From a List..." and tick "Have Disk". Now navigate to the drivers folder on your desktop and find the inf in the program files\macintosh...drivers\iSight folder. Install the driver.

It should work correctly after this. You may need to install it twice or just tweak and play around.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. ect0

ect0 Bit poster

bootcamp isn't available on apple's website due to the release of leopard

..im using the same drivers from varying versions of bootcamp, and I could be wrong,
    but, what would be the benefit to installing bootcamp when im installing a driver in windows..

(but i *will* if i can find an old copy just to rule out that issue)
    i feel like the problem probably stems from my build of vista business and the driver,
    though that's.. not a reliable method.. 'feeling'.

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

it seems that bootcamp is now available only with Leopard, unfortunately.
    I've informed our QA team and we'll investigate your issue.
    I'm sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. mlcolorado

mlcolorado Bit poster

Hi, but the Boot Camp Assistant is automatically installed into Leopard, no need to download it. You may just need to purchase Leopard if you want the iSight to work right away. If not, wait a while for a solid solution to this problem from the Parallels team.

6. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

isight

I can't get isight to work with a Vista bootcamp VM either (using parallels build 5540 with Leopard). I've reinstalled the bootcamp drivers from the leopard install disk, but no joy.

Using native bootcamp and vista, isight works no problem.

As a side note, it didn't work under VMware Fusion VM either. Not super critical but as a windows live user, it's a bummer for me and my family when i'm travelling.

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

now bootcamp is a built-in feature of new Leopard so iSight drivers installation is a bit different now.
    1. Insert the original Leopard DVD into the DVD drive of the Mac. Connect the disk to the virtual machine by choosing the "Default CD/DVD" drive under the "Devices - DVD rom" menu.
    2. Hold down the Shift key in order to disable the autorun option and stop the Boot Camp drivers automatic installation. If the Boot Camp window appears click on the "Cancel" button to cancel this installation.
    3. Open MyComputer, right-click on the Boot Camp DVD disk, choose the "Open" option, browse to the "Drivers-Apple" folder and find the "AppleiSightInstaller.exe" file.
    4. Connect the iSight camera to the virtual machine. To do so please choose the iSight camera under the "Parallels - Devices - USB" menu.
    5. Double-click on the AppleiSightInstaller.exe to install the required drivers for iSight. Please follow the on-screen instructions.

Please, report here if it works.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

Isight

Alicia:

Using macbook pro with 5540, leopard and vista ultimate bootcamp install.

I installed the driver direct from the leopard CD and isight comes up. It does not appear in the control panel and neither does it appear in the control panel image devices. However msn live and video studio recognise it is there and the device manager notes it as well (and it works). I've followed this procedure before, executing the installer direct from the CD with mixed results and when rebooting vista vm, it keeps reinstalling the isight driver as soon as you connect it through devices usb. One thing i might not have been consistent on is the order in which i did things i.e. activating the isight thru devices/usb then installing the driver versus the other way round.

I am having to reinstall, revalidate and reactivate most things eg. Adobe acrobat, corel draw and windows keeps flashing that it is possibly counterfeit and requires revalidation causing aero to not work - ok no big deal on aero. Are there any workarounds to stop this cycle of activation which eventually exceed activation limits. I've seen this before with xp and build 3214 when trying to download templates, windows tries to validate the install and fails but usually apps are fine once reactivated once.

ps i don't envy your job, so i hope someone is paying well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

the problem with constant reactivation isn't related to the iSight problem? Or it happend after the iSight solution steps?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

10. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

Reactivation

No I do not believe it is tied to the isight driver.

I had so many reactivation issues with windows, i moved over to bootcamp. Bootcamp failed also with vista saying that the license store contains inconsistent data. As a result of this I was unable to log into windows period, other than in safe mode. I couldn't start the SLCVC for activation, nor even open a control panel. Something has gone horribly wrong in the windows area somewhere that affects validation and activation. Not even a restore point would recover it. I also tried the mac address change for parallels ensuring it was the same as for the mac (the old xp fix). Talking to microsoft i think they still use some sort of hardware address to check for changes but i'm not sure what it is.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with microsoft who could not diagnose the problem and put it down to my bootcamp installation (bs really, they were clueless and reading suggestions off of a piece of paper) - they gave me a tech support number for apple.

I'm now in the middle of reinstalling vista under bootcamp. I'm sure parallels is working on solutions for the various issues and i will be following the forum awaiting a stable update.

I thought i had it there for a while with 5540, leopard and vista ultimate, but the windows activation issue and 'not a genuine copy if windows' has got me......for now.

PS is the VM part of parallels stable cos when it is, i may just do a clean install and forget bootcamp altogether.