Fedora Linux 32 is very slow in Parallels Desktop 16

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AvinashM, Nov 12, 2020.

1. AvinashM

AvinashM Junior Member

Hi all,

I have upgraded to the latest Parallels Desktop 16 and I run Fedora Linux 32 in it with the latest 5.8.18 Linux kernel. Things are much more sluggish (slow) than when I was running Parallels Desktop 15. I wonder if this is being caused because all prl_* kernel modules are not being loaded... Parallels Tools was compiled and the following kernel modules created:
    • prl_eth.ko.xz
    • prl_fs_freeze.ko.xz
    • prl_fs.ko.xz
    • prl_tg.ko.xz
    • prl_vid.ko.xz
    I have noticed that, when Fedora is running, only prl_tg and prl_vid are loaded.

Can this be the cause of the sluggishness? I feel that the graphics is very slow (I've allocated the recommended 512Mb to the VM).

Thanks,
    Avinash

2. AvinashM

AvinashM Junior Member

Hi,

I have noticed that
    1. The native resolution of my Macbook Pro (2880 x 1800) is not shown in the Fedora "Displays" preference
    2. Choosing a lower resolution in Fedora (e.g. 1920 x 1200) which has the same aspect ratio makes things much quicker (but at the expense of not running at the Retina resolution obviously).
    I don't seem to have had this issue with Parallels 15. Once again, I'm running a fully updated Fedora 32 with the Parallels Tools compiled.

3. AvinashM

AvinashM Junior Member

Hi,

I have just compiled Parallels Tools with the patch suggested by (GalaxyMaster) (see https://forum.parallels.com/threads/path-for-kernel-5-9-1.351222/) and everything now works great. Linux is snappy and, more importantly, all modules (prl_fs_freeze, prl_fs, prl_eth, prl_vid and prl_tg) are ow loaded at boot.

The only issue I had was that, for some reason, Google Chrome showed a gray screen when launched. Adding --disable-gpu as a parameter solved the problem and I don't see any big performance loss.