Can't install .Net Framework 1.1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tbann, Oct 9, 2007.

1. tbann

tbann Bit poster

I need .Net Framework 1.1 to run ArcGIS. For some reason the installer will not work but .Net 2.0 did just fine. I get the following error

Error 1606. Could not access network location \\.PSF\.Home\Documents\.

Any ideas????

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

why not install .net 3
    which has the security fixes

Hugh W

3. tbann

tbann Bit poster

Will this then allow me to install .Net Framework 1.1??

My VM is XP Pro with SP1m installed.

Ted

4. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Why are you running XP Pro SP1? That version has so many bugs. That's why SP2 was such a major upgrade and fixed all the issues with SP1. SP1 is not really supported by Microsoft as well. If you call with issues and they hear you say SP1 they'll tell you first to apply SP2 and then call back.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I actually think that Parallels is supposed to use SP2, and if you use BC it has to use SP2.

6. tbann

tbann Bit poster

Opps a typo I am funning SP2 and all windows updates are done.

7. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Make sure you disable all types of sharing between the OS X and windows before trying to install .Net 1.1.

It tries to write some stuff in your home directory, and since this one is redirected right now to your OS X home directory, the installer fails.

If you have no sharing whatsoever enabled in Parallel while you do the install, it'll work.

8. tbann

tbann Bit poster

Does this also mean turning off coherence??

Thanks I'll give it a go.

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

No,

You don't need to turn coherence off while doing this. But you will have to turn off your virtual machine while doing the install, because you cannot change those shared values while the VM is running.

10. tbann

tbann Bit poster

How do I do the install with the virtual machine off????

11. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Misunderstanding.

To disable all sharing, you have to turn off your VM so you can modify the preferences of that VM.

Then you can start it up and do the install. If you need to share, then you can stop it again and restart the sharing.

If the VM totally unloads once you shut it down, you can press the command (apple) key while clicking on your windows XP VM machine to start it in edit mode.

12. tbann

tbann Bit poster

Thankyou

I have .net install and ArcGIS running!!!!

13. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

Which Parallels version/build are you running? I can't get ArcGIS to run under any Parallels 3.x build, including the latest beta...

14. tbann

tbann Bit poster

I am running the latest version?? All is running just fine.

Ted

15. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

If you don't mind, what was the sequence of your successful install?
    ArcGIS first, then .Net, then Direct X, or do .Net and Direct X before ArcGIS?

It seems whatever I do, ArcGIS installer will hang after the second start up attempt...

Thanks!

16. tbann

tbann Bit poster

You must have all the updates done before you install ArcGIS. In my case .Net would not install until the network was disabled then all went fine.

Ted