How to completely disable express installation of windows guests?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkH23, Dec 1, 2017.

1. MarkH23

MarkH23 Bit poster

Hi. I am using Parallels Pro 13.2.0 (43213) and I cannot find a way to disable what I think is the express installation for windows. This is not my first time creating a windows 10 guest under parallels but I do not see the expected checkbox to enable/disable the express installation.

I am using a local .iso of windows 10 enterprise which I have used successfully with fusion. I have tried completely isolating the guest by disabling all the sharing integration parallels options. No matter what option I try, straight defaults or disabling every form of sharing I can find, I always end up with a new windows 10 guest that has its user name set to the same username as my mac host and I do not want this.

This happens even when I click the "continue manually" menu item early during the install. Doing so allows me some control over the setup phase but even with this I am never prompted for a user name and instead parallels somehow supplies my mac username to the windows guest.

How can I forcefully prevent parallels from supplying my mac username to the windows guest during the installation from an iso? (I've done this with earlier versions of parallels so I don't know what has changed.)

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi MarkH23,
    You can create an empty virtual machine and mount Windows ISO then launch virtual machine which will start manual installation. You can refer to the pdf file for creating a empty virtual machine and mapping the ISO.

Attached Files:

3. MarkH23

MarkH23 Bit poster

Thanks Ajith! I hadn't thought of creating a new empty VM and installing an OS after the fact but that certainly works and unblocks me from my problem.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that the instructions helped. Feel free to reach out to us anytime for support.

5. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

@Ajisth@Parallels How do you do this in PD 14? I am again having Windows Server 2016 problems, and neither the Disable Express Setup nor the Create Blank VM option seems to be available any more.

6. Hello,
    could you share with us a screenshot of the issue please?

7. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Maria, I found it. It got moved and renamed "Continue without a source". And a search for "parallels desktop continue without a source" turns up exactly zero documentation from Parallels. Very frustrating given the extra cost of Parallels Desktop "Pro".