Parallels 16, Big Sur, Windows 10, MacBook Pro 2015 15'' - video errors crashing?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoeDawson, Nov 14, 2020.

1. JoeDawson

JoeDawson Junior Member

So I have been using Parallels 16 since its release without any issues but did the big Sur upgrade last night and now when I click down in the menu tab to search for an app the darn thing crashes.
    I did a video to show you. It happens in a window or fullscreen mode. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. BronskyP

BronskyP Bit poster

see this video. It shows how to fix the problem:

SamP7 likes this.
  3. JoeDawson

JoeDawson Junior Member

Thank you for this information, and it works 100%. But doing so is slowing down graphics by disabling metal support. This appears to be a bug in Parallels that they should fix. Has the company said they will fix it anytime soon or admitted it is an issue yet?

4. SamP7

SamP7 Bit poster

thank you - my Parallels windows now works again. MBP 15" Mid 2015. Any idea what disabling Metal does performance wise?

5. BrandonM4

BrandonM4 Bit poster

Not sure how disabling Metal at this point could be considered making it worse performance wise having it on just crashes the thing. Happening on my MacBook Pro Mid 2014 model as well.

6. JoeDawson

JoeDawson Junior Member

To your point, BrandonM4. Yes, fixing the issue is obviously better than having it broken. But the fix disables video speed improvements we previously had before Big Sur and Parallels 16. So my point here is that before we had this issue, the video framerates you could have had in Windows 10 using your MAC would have been much higher when you had the ability to use video acceleration. With the fix in place, we have disabled any ability to use video acceleration technology and now it is all being done by the CPU and not the GPU. So the ability to play some full-screen videos that would have worked smoothly before we started to have this crash issue will now not work as well under the current version of the software that has these issues.

7. PeterC13

PeterC13 Bit poster

Thanks for this fix and it also works for me but seems to slow down Windows 10 performance. I will also be looking for fix from Parallels.

8. BrandonM4

BrandonM4 Bit poster

Make sure you try to update before tweaking further 16.1.1 appears to fix the issue.

HenrikN likes this.
  9. SamP7

SamP7 Bit poster

Upgraded to 16.1.1 and the issue is fixed.
    Thank you BrandonM4 and of course the OP JoeDawson

10. SamP7

SamP7 Bit poster

I've also received this from Parallels customer support, confirming that the issue is fixed with the latest release:

"It appears that the situation has been identified, and the fix was released today.
    Please download the latest version of Parallels Desktop 16 (https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd16 ), re-enable metal by removing the earlier set boot flag and verify that the behavior is fixed."

11. PeterC13

PeterC13 Bit poster

Problem also resolved for me by updating to 16.1.1. Embarrassing they didn't catch such a blatant error before 16.1.0 release

12. PascalV6

PascalV6 Bit poster

Most of problems seem to be resolved in 16.1.1. But I still have sometimes the same crash for example in Powershell ISE. During this time, I keep Metal disabled