Repetitive "macOS Detected" notification

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mcgroarty, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hi, could you please create and provide us with the tech report as mentioned above?

2. Grega3

Grega3 Member

It happens every time when my AntiVirus scans DeveloperDiskImage.dmg from xCode. And there are a few!..

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.4/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.4/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/2.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/2.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/2.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/3.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/3.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/3.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/4.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/4.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/4.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/4.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/5.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/5.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/5.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/5.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/6.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchOS.platform/DeviceSupport/6.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/10.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.4/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/12.4/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/8.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/8.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/8.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/8.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/8.4/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.0/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.1/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.2/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/9.3/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg

I'm not sure why PD needs to constantly watch disk access, isn't that going to cause performance issues, surely!? That's a bigger issue than the annoying pop up "macOS Detected"...

Parallels devs: Could you please provide us with the option to "DISABLE DISK ACCESS WATCH", I would be quite happy to manually create VM without getting prompted by PD whenever I download an O/S image to improve performance and save the annoying pop ups.

MikeG11 likes this.
  3. NoraH

NoraH Bit poster

I had almost the same problem. Turned out that sometimes antivirus and Parallels have some troubles working together. It happens because an antivirus sometimes may mistake Parallel's processes for malware. In this case, to prevent the antivirus from blocking Parallels Desktop processes, you just need to make a full virus scan and add Parallel's processes, which usually start from prl or parallels to a trusted list.

Best regards, Nora

4. Grega3

Grega3 Member

I doubt this is the case. It's more likely that Parallels watches file access constantly, and a file handle with an O/S image is opened, it then displays this silly message. When antivirus runs a full scan, it needs to open the file handles to scan the files, thus the message. I would be much happier if Parallels didn't watch my file access all the time, and an option for that be provided, but with the lack of their input, it appears that Parallels support doesn't frequent this forum much.

MikeG11 likes this.
  5. Grega3

Grega3 Member

@Maria@Parallels are you able to create an internal ticket to get this resolved?

6. Hello guys, could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?
    Looking forward to your reply.

7. Grega3

Grega3 Member

@Maria@Parallels

@DaveGuerin sent a report 323885356 on Oct 10, 2019
    I sent a test report 325684916 on Nov 9, 2019
    I sent you a new report now again 352187743.

You can replicate the issue yourself!!! Here are the steps:
    install Xcode from appstore

then in finder, go to:
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.1

copy DeveloperDiskImage.dmg onto your desktop.

Voi'la the pop up appears ("macOS detected; Click here to install macOS."). If you did these steps, you just simulated the same behaviour as when AntiVirus is scanning these very files.

MikeG11 likes this.
  8. MaartenH1

MaartenH1 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Is there a solution?

9. Thanks a lot for the provided information. We've involved Parallels Engineering team in this case for the further issue investigation.

10. Hello, Parallels Engineering Team working on the resolution. Once we get any updates we will let you know.

11. Hello guys, we would like to inform you that Parallels Desktop update 16.1.0 has been release recently.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build and check the issue.
    Please share any results with us.

12. Ray14

Ray14 Bit poster

I have updated to 16.1.0 and can confirm that I am still having this issue.

13. Dale Sherwood

Dale Sherwood Bit poster

I, too, can confirm that the problem still exists with 16.1.0 (48950) - maybe even worse than before the update.
    FWIW: I recently (30 Sep) installed CleanMyMac X, configured to provide "malware and threat protection"; I thought that this might be significant based on information from other reports on this topic. Also, for years I have run Intego VirusBarrier without any problems, but maybe that has changed. (I will try turning them off one by one to see if that "fixes" it.)

14. Hi guys,
    could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

15. toonetown

toonetown Member

This just started happening for me as well...just barely with the latest version of Parallels (16.1.0).

16. Could you check the same with the latest Parallels Desktop version (16.1.1.) please?

17. SimoneT3

SimoneT3 Bit poster

it's still happening sometimes

18. Hi, could you collect the tech report please and post the report's ID here?

19. SimoneT3

SimoneT3 Bit poster

here you go: 355575694

20. michele7

michele7 Bit poster

Can you please remove that notification at all? It keeps appearing and never stops, which makes the software unusable.