Memory Leak Crash?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jordan314, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jordan314

jordan314 Junior Member

Hi,
    I'm running 5160 with windows XP in Tiger (still waiting for my Leopard Up To Date to arrive!). 3 GB ram which runs way smoother than 1 GB did. Still though, when I leave parallels running, my entire system freezes up after a few hours. It's happened to me twice. The mouse will wake up the computer but the time is frozen on seconds in the clock and menumeters has stopped logging CPU activity. The cursor changes when I mouseover different elements in safari but doesn't allow me to click on anything. When I drag my mouse over to the second monitor where parallels is running XP in full screen, I get a spinning beach ball. The beach ball disappears when I mouseout of Parallels which leads me to believe Parallels is the culprit. Option apple escape does not bring the force quit menu up and I'm forced to hold down the power button to reset. Anyone else having this issue?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can you pull up your Activity Monitor when Parallels hits this rogue state?

Is there anything in your logs?

3. jordan314

jordan314 Junior Member

I can't pull up activity monitor because the whole machine is crashed. However I run menumeters and the CPU is not peaked, but frozen at like 4%.
    Which logs, in the console?

I can't wait for a Leopard update...I installed Leopard and reinstalled parallels and now it's even worse, booting my VM maybe 1 out of 5 times. I still get this memory leak issue sometimes. The other things that happen on a NEW XP install when I hit the play button:
    -Kernel Panics
    -A "Could not communicate with Parallels Drivers" error
    -Crashes
    -A "Could not initialize monitor, please contact parallels support" error.
    :(

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Ok, grab data from the activity every hour or so of use.

I would also try re-installing Parallels. It should leave your data intact, although it never hurts to back-up.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I missed the thread while passing over it, and I just looked at my threads bookmarked as ones to come back to and found this sitting here.