Windows 10 Sound - Big Sur as Host

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ITS23, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ITS23

ITS23 Bit poster

Since upgrading to Big Sur, I appear to have an issue with sound when the VM is running.
    The sound driver in Window10 device manager is still the default (see below) Whilst I cant be sure about this does that not normally get updated with the parallels version? Can someone check this on there instance and report back on what they see in device manager (Parallels Tools does install normally with out any errors and display seems to work without problems.

The issue is when the VM is running I have no sound either inside the VM or outside in MacOS (although it sometimes work for a few minutes). As soon as I power down the VM everything starts working normallyagain. (I would point out at this stage I am using a Dell 6000 dock and the sound is output via that unit)
    Interestingly I also have a VM instance of Debian and that works without issue (With no parallels tools installed at all)

I am using parallels version: 16.1.1 (49141)

Things I've tried:
    1. Uninstall/reinstall parallels tools
    2. Redirect sound to macbook speakers
    3. Uninstall sound driver in windows and let it reinstall it.

Any thoughts from anyone?

upload_2020-11-19_14-13-29.png

2. JeffS15

JeffS15 Junior Member

Same issue. I turned off app sharing and it helped but didn't eliminate the issue. Youtube and sound work for a period of hours, and I thought I'd solved it, but came to find issue had returned last night. I restarted the VM and everything's back to normal, for now.

3. ITS23

ITS23 Bit poster

Yes, I'm finding similar issues. Seems very hit and miss. Once thing I have tried which worked. I rebuilt the Windows VM from scratch and that did seemed to help but then the problem came back. Something definitely broken somewhere I feel. I did get a response from a support ticket I put in for the display link software that runs with the Dell 6000 dock. The display link software does not touch sound so at least that's ruled out.

4. STEPHENS12

STEPHENS12 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Reboot of big sur clears it for a while, but problem reappears shortly.

5. JeffS15

JeffS15 Junior Member

Sound is making it to the guest OS (you can see sound levels on the mixer) but no output to speakers. Confirmed that rebooting the guest OS clears the issue for a period of time before it corrects itself.

6. JeffS15

JeffS15 Junior Member

I received a reply to my case that's solved the problem--the solution they provided is below.
    I had to BOTH assign the permission AND also reinstall Parallel Tools, even though I'd just recently reinstalled Parallel Tools, for it to work.

------------------
    This email is with regards to the sound issues that you were experiencing in Windows virtual machine in Parallels Desktop for Mac.

On Mac menu bar click on Apple logo > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > unlock settings by clicking padlock > on the left side scroll down and select Full Disk Access and accessibility menu > on the right side put checkmark for Parallels Desktop.

Please follow the steps mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/4841 and install or reinstall Parallels Tools and also follow https://kb.parallels.com/112477 .

If still the same please refer https://kb.parallels.com/125186 and change the hypervisor type of virtual machine

ITS23 and MiguelR4 like this.
  7. MiguelR4

MiguelR4 Bit poster

Had to chance the hypervisor to Apple. No problems so far. Thanks.

8. ITS23

ITS23 Bit poster

I can also confirm talking steps detailed above solves the issue thanks JeffS15

9. RajendraB

RajendraB Bit poster

Have followed steps, but still its not working for me. Its observed whenever VM goes to sleep or lock Macbook.
    I am using parallels version: 16.1.1 (49141) Standard version.
    Kindly provide fixes.

10. JeffS15

JeffS15 Junior Member

I added the step that @MiguelR4 mentioned above and changed the hypervisor to Apple. That took care of some straggling issues where the problem would recur after sleeping. With those 2 changes it's been rock-solid for the last couple of days. (Grant Full Disk Access to parallels in MacOS Privacy and Security settings, and change the hypervisor to Apple.)

11. steve6

steve6 Bit poster

I tried Grant Full Disk Access to parallels in MacOS Privacy and Security settings, also reinstalled parallels tools, but it only temporarily solved the issues. The problems get back shortly.
    Only change the hypervisor to Apple solve the problems but the performance was extremely poor. I tested running the same python program in windows vm, the hypervisor to Apple took 40 secs but the hypervisor to Parallels took only 24 secs.
    My OS: Big Sur 11.01, Windows 10 Home 20H2 and parallels version: 16.1.1 (49141) Standard version.
    Would the official parallels can release the patch to fix the issues?