Parallels 16.1.1 in Big Sur and iCloud: "question marks" for some VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by salvomic, Dec 3, 2020.

1. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

hi,
    sorry if this is not the right section of the forum, but I've having some issues with Parallels 16.1.1 in Big Sur and iCloud.
    Sometimes I get a "question mark" (?) instead of the VM icon and the VM is not loaded, until I click on the real icon in ~/Documents/Parallels folder, then it take some time to load the VM if it is so big...
    Please, see the attached image.

Any help?
    Thanks in advance,
    Salvo

Attached Files:

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

This issue is caused by the nature of the iCloud and we strongly suggest users run virtual machines from local drive. The cause for the issue is, iCloud will keep a local copy of the file in the iCloud drive if it is frequently accessed else it upload the entire file into the cloud but will have a link/short file to download the file when it is accessed. When Parallels Desktop tries to read the file it cannot see the valid file but after you go into the folder and click on the file, iCloud downloads it which takes some time. When you manually click the PVM file if you have noticed, you can see a symbol for downloading from the cloud.

3. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Thank you.

I couldn't take those files in the local drive: they whole are at least 200 GB...
    In Catalina or first the problem was less evident.
    If I right clic on the "?" I get only "remove Solaris" or so. Maybe it would be better to have also an option to locally load the file.

Salvo

4. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Is there a way to set the folder ~/Documents/Parallels to prevent the iCloud magagement in different manner than the rest of the folder Documents?
    This morning I tried to download a VM of 15 GB, it takes 1-2 hours, I started the VM (FreeBSD), all went ok, then I closed it. After a few time the VM was again sent to iCloud and Parallels showed the "question mark". All to be done again :-(
    With the first version of macOS and Parallels there was no such problem.
    Please, help.