How do I disable Parallels Desktop Control Center from popping up all the time?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by orlamelie, Aug 29, 2014.

1. orlamelie

orlamelie Bit poster

Hi, after my upgrade to "Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac" the Parallels Desktop Center keeps popping up first, even though I am only running one VM. This didn't use to happen in Parallels 9 and it's annoying to have to keep dismissing it so I can get to Windows.

I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be a "default VM" or "don't show desktop center if there's only one VM" choice anywhere. Am I missing something? Any other tricks that anybody know?

Thanks!

2. KennyP

KennyP Bit poster

Since upgrading, i've noticed this happening as well.

It appears that:

In Parallels 9, if I was using a VM, switched to a Mac application, then switched back to the VM by clicking the Parallels dock icon, then it was the VM window that go the focus.

whereas...

In Parallels 10, if I am using a VM, switch to a Mac application, then switch back to the VM by clicking the Parallels Desktop dock icon, that it is the control centre window that gets the focus.

The clue there is the subtle change from "Parallels dock icon" to "Parallels Desktop dock icon".. ..in Parallels 10 you will find that there is another dock item for the VM itself and clicking it gives the same behaviour as you were used to before in Parallels 9. In Parallels 10, there is now an icon for the control centre, plus one per VM...

There is a fairly lengthy "discussion" going on here about how unhelpful this change is, particularly for those using only a single VM at a time (who now have two dock icons):

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?314182-Parallels-10-Dock-Icon

3. orlamelie

orlamelie Bit poster

Thank you, that did the trick. I hadn't even noticed the other VM icon amongst all the other ones that represent the open Windows app. This works for me.

4. MarqueIV

MarqueIV Junior Member

I actually have the opposite desire. I WANT the control center to come up when I click on the Parallels icon. If I want the VM to come up, I show the VM's icon in the dock. It is beyond frustrating to me that when I *want* to get to Parallels, the app, say to change preferences or something, I have to click an app's icon that opens up my VM, just to close it again, then right-click on the dock icon and choose 'Control Panel' THEN finally get to preferences. You don't click on Word's icon and have it automatically open the last document you worked on.
    If you want an icon for your VM, let them add an icon for your VM. But no, I COMPLETELY disagree with the above about having different behavior if there is only one. That breaks fundamental UI design about having the same icon mean different things based on state. You use a different icon. Simple.