Keep getting asked whether I want to change my default browser

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by bats66, Apr 28, 2017.

1. bats66

bats66 Bit poster

I am running Windows 10 with Parallels Desktop 12 in a Mac running OS X Sierra. I keep getting this message box asking me if I want to change my default browser to Parallels Desktop or to keep using Chrome (I have both Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows). Sometimes the question is the other way round, asking me if I want to change to Chrome or keep using Parallels Desktop.
    Why is this happening?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @bats66 , are getting this pop up even after selecting the default browser for your Mac and Windows ?

3. bats66

bats66 Bit poster

Yup I have select Chrome for Mac and MS Edge as default browsers

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @bats66 , Please try Configure > Options > Web & e-mail > Web pages > Open in Windows (to permanently assign it to Windows) and let us know if that helps.

5. MarkS33

MarkS33 Bit poster

This did not solve the popup issue for me. Is there another way to stop this? I want windows to open in windows, and mac to open in mac.

6. Arun@Parallels

Hi @MarkS33 , is this happening only when you try to open any particular links from any application?

7. TW80CJ5

TW80CJ5 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. I tried the solution that Arun posted : Please try Configure > Options > Web & e-mail > Web pages > Open in Windows, but that did not work. The box pops up randomly without me selecting anything and this happens many times a day.

8. jrcpvaz

jrcpvaz Bit poster

I am also having this problem of the pop-up asking if I want to change my default browser.
    I am using Parallels 13 Desktop for Mac and Windows 10 Pro. The Mac is both a MacBook Pro and an Mac Mini.
    I've seen this pop-up seemingly randomly, and actually every time I come back to Windows after being busy with something on the Mac side. And I do not believe it to be app specific. The default browser in Windows is set to be Firefox, but my default browser on the Mac is Safari. So why is the pop-up asking if I want to continue using Safari or switch to the Parallels browser? Makes no sense to me.
    I really don't like this. There HAS to be a way to tell Parallels once and for all what my default browser is.
    Super annoying!

9. SusanD3

SusanD3 Bit poster

Did anyone resolve this? I'm having the same issue Parallels 15, Windows 10, Apple Catalina. The warning is coming from System Preferences every time I make Windows the active window. I have Safari set as my default browser in System Preferences, General so I don't know what else to try

10. EdwinT2

EdwinT2 Bit poster

This is getting even crazier after upgrading to Parallels 15. I left my computer on with Win10 overnight. When I wake up in the morning, I got 50+ pop ups asking me whether I want to change my default browser to Parallels or keep using Chrome.

11. SusanD3

SusanD3 Bit poster

same thing happened to me

12. tmpc

tmpc Bit poster

It's because this company sucks! I have the same problem with the incessant update window. It must pop up 100 times a day. Hey Parallels, your not my mommy and my daddy. You informed me about the update. Great, thanks. Now, treat me like an adult and let me decide when I want to update the software I PAID FOR. I hate this B.S.!

13. Hello guys,
    Could you please share with us a screenshot of the pop-up message here?

14. MoniqueM1

MoniqueM1 Bit poster

upload_2020-8-17_10-10-44.png

Attached Files:

15. MoniqueM1

MoniqueM1 Bit poster

upload_2020-8-17_10-21-16.png

Attached Files:

16. JohnG24

JohnG24 Bit poster

I'm getting this too. I'm running Parallels 15 on macOS 11.0.1 . I get prompted to select a browser intermittently when opening links in my Windows 10 virtual machine.

I also noticed when I click on a link in my Apple Mail, it opens in the Windows browser. I definitely don't want that behavior. I want the host and virtual machines to be oblivious to each other. The only integration I want is a shared clipboard.

Links clicked on in the Windows VM open in the Windows VM, and links clicked on my Mac host OS should open in the host OS. And never should the two OS's every meet, as the saying goes.