How to change start/stop options

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Morrie, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

If I have set the checkbox "Start VM automatically when it is opened", how do I change any of my VM's settings, since I can't open it without automatically starting it? Furthermore, since I also checked "Exit application on VM shutdown", I can't stop my VM without exiting Parallels. Seems like I have a catch-22 situation.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Just hold down "Command" (Apple) key while you opening the VM. It will prevent VM to start automatically.

Alexander

3. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

Thanks. Just curious -- where in what help or manual is this documented? I looked and looked but could not find this.

4. sparker

sparker Member

Parallels ignores "Start VM Automatically" settings...

I'm glad I finally looked this up. I've got a question though: Why doesn't a VM respect the setting of the Options -> Booting -> "Start VM Automatically when it is open" and "Exit Application on VM Shutdown" settings. I've got a number of machines that ignore this setting. Can I hand-edit the ".pvs" file to FORCE these settings to work. These machines were created in very early versions of Parallels and have been upgraded to 3.0 build 5608.

And it's not just a "Windows" thing. This happens on my Solaris and Linux machines too....

Thanks (in advance)

Steve

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose it is permissions problem, that you have only read access to pvs file, try to check do you have write permissions

6. sparker

sparker Member

Nope. It's not a permissions problem. I can update settings, and I have write access to the file. I've had this problem ever since upgrading to 3.x. The old 2.x machines didn't do this, but 3.0 does....

Steve

7. John@Parallels

IS any settings you updated through Configuration Settings are saving except autostart?

8. sparker

sparker Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I think it's "Do any values you edit in the configuration update the .pvs file correctly?" The answer to that question is "Yes, all values save correctly, including the "Start auto"
    and "AutoShutdown" values. Parallels automatically starts whether the Start auto flag is 1 or 0. Same for AutoShutdown.

Steve

9. John@Parallels

Ok, I got it.
    Could you please start Parallels VM, by double clicking pvs file from within Virtual Folder holding Command key, and let me know settings?

10. sparker

sparker Member

That seems to do what I was expecting the setting of the flag to do. Now all I have to do is remember to hold down the CMD key every time I start a VM....

If the flag setting could be fixed in the future, I'd appreciate it. But I can get by with the CMD key workaround....

Steve

11. John@Parallels

What I mean is that you are starting VM from another place,
    Exactly you have 2 VMs, thus changing one, you think it doesn't change the settigns