Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. BrianM25

BrianM25 Bit poster

This is where I'm at.

2. AndreH8

AndreH8 Bit poster

I found out how to stop the screen from freezing in the VM after reboot.
    In the parallels settings on the Mac side, go to "options" then "more options" at the bottom. Make the "Time" say "do not sync". Parallels tools will work nicely and persist after reboot. Enjoy!!!

3. BrianM25

BrianM25 Bit poster

After initial downloads (everything worked perfectly). Restarting the computer - I am unable to click on anything in Parallels. Any ideas?

4. BrianW19

BrianW19 Bit poster

After Upgrading to 21277 Windows Build I have also disabled Parallels Tools and am able to restart without issue.

Thank you!

5. BrianW19

BrianW19 Bit poster

A tip from AndreH8: I have now re-enabled Parallel Tools in Windows Services, but changed the Mac side to NOT SYNC the Time in Actions|Configue|Options|More Options...

Joltdude likes this.
  6. applefanboy27

applefanboy27 Bit poster

thank you, this fixed all my issues

7. EricF9

EricF9 Bit poster

I can confirm that this is the best solution. You can keep the Parallels service and the graphics drivers intact. Simply disable time syncing in Win10VM -> Actions -> Configure -> Options -> More Options. Now the Win10 GUI responds to actions without a problem.

8. BrianM25

BrianM25 Bit poster

Hi! I'm trying to find a link for the 21277 Windows Build but am struggling - any ideas? Thank you in advance. You all are incredible.

9. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Junior Member

Can confirm, doing this resolved all my issues

10. EricF9

EricF9 Bit poster

download build 20231 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64
    Install it, then go to Windows settings, Windows Insider Preview settings, and sign into your Windows Insider account, switch to the dev channel, and then it will update your install to 21277.

Joltdude, BrianW19 and BrianM25 like this.
  11. Chaks

Chaks Bit poster

As others have stated here, after loading the Windows 10 ARM VHDX VM, I was not able to interact with it. However, after uninstalling Parallels Tools (and click on the box to remove the associated driver) from within Device Manager->System Tools fixed it. To also get to a point where you can uninstall the Parallels Tools, you first need to reinstall the tools as that will enable you to interact with your VM.

It would be great to have a fix for this!

12. BrianM25

BrianM25 Bit poster

13. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Junior Member

14. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

So all working easy install no hiccups. Install office 365. Then joint both insider programs. Windows (dev). And office Beta. Wow. Gives me access to some functions in excel not on Mac 365

must say even with all this virtualization and emulation com paired to my X1 Carbon 7th gen. This thing sings. Now excel is nearly as fast on my M1 .MacBook pro in native mode. And both run all over the thinkpad when opening super large and complex excels.
    great job Par team !!

15. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Junior Member

I must congratulate Parallels, Microsoft and Apple on their commitment to this new platform. I have installed the new parallels on my M1 MacBook Pro 16gig memory and 1tb drive. Install worked fine, downloaded the original ARM version of windows, and downloaded and installed my office 365 version. The product is quick and smooth. Yes there are some issues, but the system is promising, speed is great, no at all like a normal early release product.

I am updating the new 21277 release of windows, to hopefully fix the Microsoft Store not opening issue, and unable to install themes.
    Still early days, but keep up the good work everyone.

16. KaanF

KaanF Bit poster

What is about to Activate windows?

Get all time crash on Microsoft Store, and if I install iTunes says SidebySide thing...

ChrisW38 likes this.
  17. ShaunC5

ShaunC5 Bit poster

I have currently updated to the latest build (21277) and for me the issues are still persistent, but as Chris said things mostly work fine, just some applications receive side by side errors or simply don't open such as microsoft store... otherwise for an early release it is very stable on windows ARM.

ChrisW38 likes this.
  18. MarkD19

MarkD19 Bit poster

YMMV, but simply resizing the window during the Tools re-installation (so you can catch it before the automatic restart), then disabling the Parallels service before restarting has been the fix for me. After several hours of use and multiple reboots (windows updates and such), no issues whatsoever. Snappy, even!

19. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

sore crash, photos, crash ... but it (winArm) is also a beta

20. DarrenP4

DarrenP4 Bit poster

Is there another place to download Windows 10 ARM? I go to download this and it only shows build 20231 for me.