Parallels 3.0 Not Working in Leopard 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rempe00, Oct 26, 2007.

1. budjames

budjames Junior Member

Parallels 3.0 working fine on MacPro 8-core and MacBookPro

I upgraded my MacPro 8-core and MacBookPro 15" last week to Leopard. I use Parallels on both machines to run WinXP Pro SP2 because I use ACT! 2008, Internet Explorer 7 and MS Office 2007 to run my business.

The MacBook Pro runs fine after the OS upgrade without any problems. Not the same for the MacPro. I had uninstall/reinstall Parallels and create a new virtual disk inorder to get it to work.

It's been a week since then and all is running fine. I say that with fingers crossed.

Bud James

2. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Well, I'm using Parallels 3 5160 in Leopard with both spaces and time machine running and I've had no issues to date.

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM.

3. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

I have the same MBP but with 4gb ram. Parallels Build 5160/XP Pro SP2 is crashing in the background when I am working in Excel 2004 in the Mac environment. Does not appear to be any problems when I am working directly in Parallels/XP.

I have done Items 5 and 6 workarounds.

I have sent emails with crash logs to Parallels Support.

Had the same problem when I was running Beta 5540, but I am not sure if I was in Excel at the time.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear moas,

You've encountered the problem that can arise on rare occasions when you have several video cards on your Mac Pro. Our developers are fixing the issue. Please sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Could you please disable one video card and let me know the result?

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  5. charlieeck32

charlieeck32 Bit poster

Help

I have been reading this site almost daily since the I installed Leopard the day after it's release. My machine has been fairly stable with the exception of the know disc mount error. I have not seen anything on the following issue though...maybe I missed it, but it doesn't show up when I search for it.

How do I install the Leopard drivers in Windows XP. I installed windows directly without using bootcamp, so I don't have the beta bootcamp drivers. The MAC drivers in Leopard don't seem to work...

In addition, are their any issues anyone has found on the beta version?

Thanks in Advance.

6. lloyddoppler

lloyddoppler Bit poster

another happy upgrader

Same here. I upgraded yesterday expecting the worst and haven't had a single issue (knocking on wood). I have the same configuration except I have 3 gig instead of 2.

7. charlieeck32

charlieeck32 Bit poster

Upgraded To Beta, Thank God, But Still Need Help

Just downloaded and installed the beta version for Leopard for my Macbook Pro. It works like a charm... all problems were eliminated and I got my XP link back on my mac desktop! To my amazement, XP booted twice as fast, and I never had speed issues before. Just started playing with it and everything seems faster.

Still need to figure out how to get the apple/mac windows drivers from the Leopard DVD to install without using Boot Camp. Can anyone help?

8. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

My Mac drivers are working fine in Parallels/XP, but it could be because I previously installed Bootcamp. However, I did install Parallels/XP on a second MBP without installing Bootcamp, and all my Mac stuff seems to be working - again this might be because I used the Leopard migration application to install my applications including Parallels/XP.

9. Confidemusfsc

Confidemusfsc Bit poster

Parallels only works with administrator user

Hi,
    I discovered the following:
    After upgrading to leopard I had to reinstall parallels. This worked fine so far. Than I found a difference between the two MacBooks we have. With one installation it worked fine and with the other Parallels crashes every time.
    The only difference is:
    With one installation my default user is "standard", with the other MacBook the default user is "administrator". With an user as administrator Parallels works fine, with a standard user it does not work. The situation is that the installation on both MacBooks has been done with an administration user. So on the second MacBook the users I used for installation of parallels ("administrator") and for usage "standard" are different. So I assume that problems of Parallels usage is somewhere located with rights management of files.

Any ideas?

Confidemusfsc

10. mteahan

mteahan Bit poster

XP Pro that I installed before upgrading to Leopard works fine after upgrading to Leopard; the latest beta of Parallels seems fine.

I cannot install Vista, however; it hangs on the please wait screen for hours or more commonly refuses to recognize either the dvd or an ISO image of the dvd. I installed an old SP4 version of Windows 2k to try to upgrade within the W2k VM but it hangs after the activation request.

Any ideas? I haven't seen anything mentioned like this yet.

11. wkharris

wkharris Junior Member

Switching Back!

Well, I have always liked Parallels since the 2.0 days but this version 3 just is not dependable enough to use anymore. I am on a direct first name basis with customer support of my never ending XP unexpected quit problems on my MacBook Pro! I have sent crash longs, reviewed installed apps, etc.

I have tried all of the suggestions here, I have done the uninstall/reinstall, blah blah blah and nothing has fixed this...

So I give up until I see a version/build of this puppy that works! I switched back to VMware 1.1 RC - and guess what all my problems went away! I worked for 10 hours today with absolutely no errors or unexpected quits!

All the bells and whistles are great but if the product is unstable I just can't use it!

Please fix this ASAP!

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

mteahan, could you please specify the PD build you are using and your Mac model? Could you also send me the output with the .pvs file which you may find in Mac HD -> Documents -> Parallels?

wkharris, did you try excluding your VM from Time Machine?

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  13. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Xenos - did you receive my 4 emails with the crash logs. I keep getting emails back saying to use the web site, but cannot upload attachments. Please give me an email address where I can send the logs. My email address is kevinvh@mac.com

14. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Kevin, I've received your letter. Thank you. I'll try to answer you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. wkharris

wkharris Junior Member

YES - still does not help

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

wkharris, we suppose you've encountered the problem that can arise on rare occasions when you have several video cards on your Mac Pro. Our developers are fixing the issue. Please sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Disabling one video card should help.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  18. TURTLESHEAD

TURTLESHEAD Bit poster

Leopard

I installed Leopard an existing VM will now not work.

Stupid question maybe but can the windows data be retreived?

19. mteahan

mteahan Bit poster

Xenos,

I installed 5540 after no success with the previous build (current stable release).

I am using a macbook pro with 2 gig/2.33

I removed the vista folder after it failed to load, but will try again and retain the .pvs file to get to you.

Any tips on my next attempt? I am tempted to transfer a working image from one of my other macs.

I aslo tried installing via boot camp to have PD point to it instead, but there is a hidden partition (PD Win XP installation??) that is preventing me from installing boot camp without reformatting the drive.

Thanks in advance

20. bconnolly01

bconnolly01 Bit poster

I have a question... I had Parallels running fine on my first launch after the Leopard upgrade ... I of course was playing with Spaces and moved it to a new location then quit and restarted my Mac ... Now when I open Parallels "unexpectedly crashed" dialog. NOw I have done everything I could think of (beta, following the workaround steps, uninstalling reinstalling) ... Is it possible that my Spaces pref file is causing a problem? Any idea where I could find that to test. Just not sure why it would work and then no longer work.

Thanks!
    Bill