arm64 ISO and VHDX images?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KolbeK, Dec 17, 2020.

1. never_released

never_released Junior Member

Clarifying why CentOS (Stream) and RHEL don't boot on Parallels for M1:
    It's because their kernels assume a 64KB page size. That translation granule isn't available on Apple M1.

(which only supports 4KB and 16KB granules)

2. FernandoG4

FernandoG4 Bit poster

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!! I was able to install windows and get the program I need for working functioning. :)

AlanD17 likes this.
  3. DanielE24

DanielE24 Bit poster

are there any distress that allow resolutions changes? I've installed ubuntu 20.10 server-> desktop but only get 1024x768 and parallels tools are not ready for arm64 yet.

MaciejO likes this.
  4. LiesbethM

LiesbethM Bit poster

should we first need to buy a Windows10-software version ... in order to make it work?

5. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

Doing the Insider program. After you activated you can switch to the developer channel to update to the latest rev, which has emulation/translation for both 32 and 64bit Windows apps.

6. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

It looks like Parallel Guest tools are not yet available for Linux on ARM? Is there another way to resize the screen?
    Windows is working well for me apart from missing features (Snashots, Suspend.) WSL is not supported, so no Ubuntu tools.
    It took several hours to find that I had to disable Time Sync with the host to prevent the system from being frozen after the desktop came up.

7. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

I've got the Windows ARM insiders preview and I can't get the Windows Store to launch- it bounces and quits.
    I can't find anything online, but it's happened on 2 separate installs. Thanks in advance!

8. never_released

The Store and quite some other UWP apps are 32-bit Arm. As such, they won't run on M1 for now. (see the release notes of this Parallels beta)

ScottN57 likes this.
  9. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

Thanks- I'm surprised Microsoft's Arm apps aren't 64 bit. It doesn't appear that they have a concept of a Universal Binary either- could be fun for users trying to decipher what's native or not.

10. Brian_Praxis8

Brian_Praxis8 Bit poster

I got the same initially, however, when I told Parallels it was an Ubuntu install, but still picked the debian-10.7.0-amr64-xfce-CD-1.iso it was able to boot and install

11. never_released

It's because those apps were inherited from Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile, which ran on 32-bit Arm processors.

12. BrionV

BrionV Bit poster

I just tried installing the Windows insider edition virtual machine vhdx, and it's mostly working with one major exception -- the screen doesn't update until I resize the Parallels VM window, then it updates *once* at the *previous size* and doesn't update again until I next resize the window.

Managed to get software updates installed via Settings by carefully sizing the window a few pixels back and forth each time I clicked sometime, but this .... isn't really good. ;)

M1 MacBook Air; VM is configured with all the folder and app "sharing" stuff disabled, otherwise at defaults. I installed Parallels Tools within the VM from the menu. Doesn't make a difference whether set to Retina or Scaled mode.

I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock attached, but whether my external 4K DisplayPort monitor is switched in or not doesn't seem to make a difference. Laptop screen is set to "looks like 1280x800" (native resolution for the 2560x1600 display, *not* the default resolution that "looks like 1440x900").

Any ideas about the screen update issue on Windows 10? Thanks all, and enjoy the testing! :D

13. BrionV

BrionV Bit poster

14. ParallelsU525

ParallelsU525 Bit poster

Setup of latest Debian alpha (debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-arm64-netinst.iso) went fine on my M1 MBA, but the target system was not booting: starting the rescue system from the ISO and forcing a manual grub-install did the trick for me. Maybe it will also help somebody else around. Great performance & everything, nice work!

15. purchasesk

purchasesk Bit poster

16. purchasesk

purchasesk Bit poster

Just a suggestion - since many seem to having such a problem with this how about someone at Parallels put out a video which walks through the process step by step with screen shots. While these directions may be sufficient for those with a little more technical capability involving Windows I think for a good of many of us they're not working. That's from all the posts listed in this thread. I have followed all these directions and it Virtual Machine window seems to load up, asks me for if it can access my contact but after that I am left with a blank Windows screen. Every time I "Quit" the Parallel Desktop App an/or the Windows icon on the bottom of my screen everything restarts again. Very frustrating TIA. The only way to shut it down is by force quitting. TIA

17. GeneL

GeneL Bit poster

Thanks for this tip - I was having the same issue so you saved me a lot of searching.

For Debian 10, removing this allowed me to do an install but it tells me there is no OS installed when I try to boot the VM.

18. JordynB

JordynB Bit poster

I have tried this, I entered the activation key code but every drive it still says that no OS is installed. How do I fix it?

19. EdS11

EdS11 Bit poster

Hello,

I've tried to download the Windows 10 ARM64 built on the Insiders Preview link (I'm registered) but for some reason it doesn't work (I've been trying since last Friday..).
    Any idea why or any other link to share?

Thanks for the help.

20. TerryC7

TerryC7 Bit poster