Help with shared folders

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by quinnt01, Nov 5, 2007.

1. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Have a new Mac, running Leopard, and I installed the 5160 build of parallels. I had to use an installation workaround I found in these forums to get XP installed properly, but it is working now. Network, devices, etc., all okay.

My problem is that I have no shared folders. I've checked all the boxes in the Shared Folder preferences screen and I would expect to see a Windows file folder somewhere in the Mac Finder on the Mac and a Mac folder of files somewhere within the Windows Explorer, but they are not there. I've tried different combinations of check box options within Preferences, restarting, etc., but to no avail.

I can transfer files successfully when I start up Parallels Explorer, but that makes every operation a multistep process. BTW, I get an error when I start Parallels Explorer if Virtual Machine is running and vice versa. Seems to only work one application at a time which may be normal behavior for all I know.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please provide me with the screenshot of your 'Shared Folders' tab from Configuration Editor of your VM?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Screen shot of Shared Folders Tab Attached

Thanks Stacey

Attached Files:

4. Pixelgal

Pixelgal Bit poster

I am having the same issue, only I cannot find the Configuration Editor.

In fact, I am having a hard time understanding this installation of Parallels, altotogether. The last installation installed fine, worked fine, could see my files. My hard drive crashed and I just don't understand this installation at all.

5. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Finding the shared folders edit option

Pixelgal,

With the VM (virtual machine) shut down, click on the EDIT tab of the Parallels toolbar at the top of your screen. Select your VM and you'll find the "shared folders" option about three selections down from the top.

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to select 'Map folders to drive letters' in Configuration Editor. Then open 'My Computer' in Windows and check if there are any Network Drives.
    Then please try to type //.psf in address bar of 'My Computer'.
    Also there might be a problem with Parallels Tools. Please try to re-install Parallels Tools.

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Stacey,

I didn't know about "Tools". I don't remember it coming up in the installation or seeing it in the installation documentation. I also had trouble finding anything about how to install it even when I knew to look for it. You might want to improve this part of your documentation.

In any case, I installed it and all works just fine. Thank you very much.

Tom

8. camross

camross Bit poster

This is a new, similar issue...

I'm running build 5160 and just migrated to Leopard. Everything was working fine before the OS update. I have PTools reinstalled.

I have Shared Folders enabled and it seems to be working but sometimes the folder appears in my Mac Finder window and other times it is simply not there. I can store and retrieve files from the location (e.g. if I use a Mac Spotlight search I can find files stored in my Shared area). Similarly, from within an application, like Word or Excel on the Mac, the Shared Folder is not visible but if I open a recent document that is stored in the Shared area the File Open/File Save dialog boxes change to show my Shared Folder. On the Windows XP side the folder is always visible.

Thanks
    Cameron

9. Pixelgal

Pixelgal Bit poster

Still lost

I have shared folders enabled in the VM config. I also have two VM's for windows... no Idea how that happened. I also tried Share Points software... no luck. Windows times out trying to access it. The error says that "the network path was not found"

I also have no "tools"

If I could only get the same download and installation that I purchased in March I would be happy and I suppose it would work... but I can't figure out how to do that.

I also cannot copy files from the Mac into the virtual windows machine and I could do that before.

*pulling out hair*

Addendum:
    I think this all has to do with the windows installation, for which I had to do a workaround by copying the WinXP installation disk to the desktop. I didn't have to do that before.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  10. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

camross,
    could you please provide me with the screenshot of your 'Shared Folders' tab from Configuration Editor of your VM?

Pixelgal,
    please go 'Actions' -> 'Install Parallels Tools' and install Parallels Tools.

Best regards,
    Stacey

11. Pixelgal

Pixelgal Bit poster

I installed it... still no difference as far as Windows being able to see the Mac files. There was an error when Windows restarted from installing Tools, having to do with video, but I am not having any problems running Windows (yet)

12. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

after installing the Parallels Tools do you still have problems with using the Share software and copying files from the Mac into the VM?
    Please tell me your version of Mac OS and the number of Parallels Desktop build.
    If possible could you please also provide me with the screenshot of your 'Shared Folders' tab from Configuration Editor of your VM?

Best regards,
    Stacey