MAMP easy installation on parallels

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by medbahn, Nov 6, 2007.

1. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

Wish,

Enable a easy way to see web site from mamp (mamp.info) into parrallels browsers.

TIA for the great job.

2. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

What is mamp and what are parallels browsers?

3. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

Hi Leauki

Mamp is macOsx apache Mysql php, parallels browser ie6, firefox on window.
    In fact is to be able to test web site on Xp with mamp and windows ie.

Monre info on mamp.
    http://www.mamp.info/

TIA

C!

4. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Ok. But what do you want Parallels to do other than run Windows and Windows Web browsers?

5. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

Simply that it be easy to test dynamic web site locally with Parallels, in fact that mamp, react the same in Safari Mac that in IE under Parallels.

If will be very interesting for web develpper to monitor in realtime, in both Mac and PC environment

TIA

6. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Ok, but WHAT exactly do you want Parallels to do?

7. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

We certainly have problem to understand each other ;-))

I like to be able to test web site locally on the mac side and on the Window side locally with parallels.

MAMP, is a test apache server, with it, you can create php/mysql pages, and test it locally.
    As you know, web page doesn't look the same on IEwindow and Safari Mac.

Ok, but WHAT exactly do you want Parallels to do?

I want that Parallels let us see that url throught IE 6 or 7 :
    http://localhost:8888/MAMP/?language=english
    or
    http://localhost:8888/info.php

Sorry, english as you can see is not my born language ....

TIA

8. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Hm... "localhost" is of course the typical hostname for 127.0.0.1, the local computer. The Mac OS X system and the Windows system are two distinct computers, hence both have their own "localhost" name pointing to themselves. "Localhost" in a Windows program is the Windows machine, "localhost" in a Mac program is the Mac OS X machine.

(That one machine is real and the other virtual is of no relevance here.)

You can easily reach your goal either by using the server's other IP address (i.e. not 127.0.0.1 which "localhost" refers to) OR you can add a new name for the server in the host file of both machines, pointing to the server's IP address.

Mac OS X /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.1 mampserver

And Windows c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.1 mampserver

(Note those are tabs between the IP address and the name.)

This assumes that 192.168.1.1 is the MAMP server (i.e. your Mac OS system?).

Allowing Parallels to interfere with the "localhost" association with the local system would break many many other applications.

9. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Note that IE on Windows _does_ see the URL. It just happens to be a different server, namely the Windows machine.

10. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster

Is there an easy way to make that append, i don't like to use the terminal???

Following what you said, i should ask MAMP developper to integrate this fonctionnality in there product !

Anyway, thank for the reply, and your patience ! ;-))

C!

11. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

You can open the file in Notepad in Windows and TextEdit in OS X. But in OS X you have to navigate to the folder via the Finder's "Go" -> "Go to Folder..." menu as /etc is invisible. You will also have to change the file permissions to allow yourself to edit the file.

Again, this has nothing to do with Parallels or MAMP. It's a simple fact of networking life. What you are asking is the networking equivalent of demanding that the same fridge be reachable within two different houses by walking in the houses' respective kitchens. It doesn't work. It will be two different fridges.

12. medbahn

medbahn Bit poster