Screen Orientation on iMAC macOS 11.1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SimonA6, Dec 21, 2020.

1. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Hi, I have just created a Parallels VM based on my bootcamp install of Windows 10. When I open the VM it appears on my iMAC in portrait orientation with black space on either side. If I switch to landscape then the VM fills the screen but still in portrait mode i.e. 90˚ from vertical.
    When I use bootcamp everything works fine and I have a separate monitor which I use in portrait mode but as number two... I've tried disabling that monitor and restarting the VM but still no joy.
    Has anyone had a similar issue or even better know how to fix this.
    Thanks.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Parallels is allowing you access into your bootcamp partition. It sound like you may have bootcamp set up in window as the #2 monitor in portrait mode. to check this go to control panel>Display>Change display settings. Changes made in your bootcamp vm will also be in your actual bootcamp partitions.

3. kat

kat Product Expert

but if you followed instruction for option 2 from this knowledge base article they would be separate from one another.

4. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Thanks for the responses kat, I have parallels set up to run from the bootcamp partition. I have opened windows in bootcamp, changed the screen orientation of monitor 2 to landscape, shut down and then opened parallels. The VM cannot detect my other display. This has made no difference... any other ideas?

5. kat

kat Product Expert

You can change resolution with vm selected parallels > view> set resolution (in my screen shot you can what I have my vm set to and what I can change it to)
    You can also elect to have your vm inCoherence, full screen or Picture in Picture. if you select full screen to exit you can use key strokes or cursor and drop down menu.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 4.15.07 PM.png

6. kat

kat Product Expert

7. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Hi kat, the image below is what my VM looks like in full screen mode with over half of the display occupied by black bars on either side. Underneath that is the parallels menubar, there is nothing in there I can use to change the orientation. I have tried changing the screen settings in bootcamp, the VM and the parallels toolbar... none of this works. In case it is of any use to you this is a 2020 5K retina iMAC with AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT (with up to date driver & software) running Big Sur.
    I've also just noticed that although win10 is authorised when I use bootcamp it shows as unauthorised in the VM, when I enter my product key I'm told that it is not valid as that key is being used on another device, presumably bootcamp... I've been using parallels without bootcamp for several years and never had any of these problems and bootcamp works perfectly - the problem is with parallels.

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 16.27.34.png Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 16.28.16.png

Attached Files:

8. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi SimonA6,
    I found this knowledge base article about activating your bootcamp vm with MS: https://kb.parallels.com/en/9703
    Part of the issue may be the lack of activation. I should have asked this earlier Which version of Parallels do you have?

9. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Thanks, I'm using the version 16.1.1 (49141). I cannot activate windows in VM as it says I've already used the key... I'll see if I can get any joy from Microsoft. This does seem pretty long winded for something advertised as a simple.

10. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Okay, so I now have Windows activated on the VM, however nothing else has changed and my display is the same.

11. kat

kat Product Expert

See if you can make any changes in the vm under control panel>Display>change to screen resolution

12. SimonA6

SimonA6 Bit poster

Solved... I raised a ticket and got instructions to re-install Parallel Tools for the VM following the instructions in this article. When the VM re-started the screen was in the correct orientation.

13. kat

kat Product Expert

I am happy you were able to work it out.