Firefox on Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JonS20, Nov 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JonS20

JonS20 Bit poster

I am running latest Parallels for Mac on latest Catalina release with Win 10. On many sites it is unstable, flashes the screen and loads only part of the page. On the Mac side Firefox works without issue. Anyone else with this issue?

JAS

ShellyR1 likes this.
  2. Hello, does it flash on launch?

3. JonS20

JonS20 Bit poster

No, it flashes when going to many sites. And often the tab will crash. These are not obscure sites. For example the University of Washington IMHE site that projects Covid 19 cases.

4. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

I can confirm this issue on Windows 10 20H2 (guest) running on Mac OS Big Sur (host) through Parallels Desktop 6.1.0 and Parallels Desktop 6.1.1. The issue is the same in both Firefox 81 and Firefox 83.

In the meanwhile, you can solve the issue by disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox (open Settings and disable recommended performance settings as well as hardware acceleration).

(Report ID: 354887130)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

I've finally reached a breaking point, this basically makes Firefox WORTHLESS in a Windows 10 VM.

I get the same blinking GPU fragments of black and instability EVERY time I visit these sites such as:

Microsoft Docs - .Net Home:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/ (I can sometimes get this to stabilize by refreshing several times)​

StackOverflow:

In addition those sites:
    • DuckDuckGo search results pages...
    • GitHub
    • Vusjs.org

The list goes on...

I have a screen recording and converted it to a 2MB gif file, however I'm unable to upload the file because it's too large (Can I get this increased please?)

Most of the software I write is Web based and I use Firefox for 90%++ of my testing. Firefox is rendered useless now and I'm at my wits end (pun intended)

To provide a bit of insight into how frustrated I am with this - If this was a physical machine I'd be ready to punt it out of a 3rd story window!!!

At first I wasn't sure if it was just Mozilla Firefox or the Parallels Graphics Drivers (How could I even test that?) Sometimes I could get the black (seizuresque) flashing to stop by resizing (contorting) the window and moving it around.

Here's What I'm running:
    macOS Catalina: Version 10.15.7 (19H114)
    Parallels Desktop Pro 16: Version 16.1.2 (49151)
    Windows 10: Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.685)
    Firefox Developer Edition: 85.0b4 (64-bit)​

P.S.
    My previous account was TS-Micah and it would be great to have some of that "street cred" associated with that account moved to this one as I'm no longer employed by that company in addition to it no being in existence. I'm Full-Time employed but still do Software Development/Consulting on the side and this account is for that.

6. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

Forgot to mention my system specs:

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2009
    Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

7. SkyeL

SkyeL Bit poster

Hello! I have a question. So im trying to activate my account. And it says I need to apply this other activation key but I dotnt know where to find the first activation key. I don't think I have it anymore and the only one I have right now Is my most recent purchase. Is there a way i can get my first activation code sent me

8. ShellyR1

ShellyR1 Junior Member

Everything is running fine in Firefox in parallel. ;)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  9. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

I can confirm _Micah's issue, running Windows 10 20H2 (guest) running on Mac OS Big Sur (host) through Parallels Desktop 6.1.2. I had to disable GPU acceleration in Firefox to make it usable.