Make Windows only USB devices to work in Windows on ARM (e.g. VCDS Scanner)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by PSG, Dec 19, 2020.

?

VCDS usb support for Parallels Desktop - vote here!

1. great idea, i'd love to see vcds running on Parallels Desktop VM

100.0%
  2. This is useless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PSG

PSG Member

Hi, I use VCDS scanner, a USB device in windows10 (also in normal boot camp). This is a kind of car diagnose scanner. This scanner works with standard usb bridge drivers, nothing special, it's even doesn't need COM port emulation. After drivers is installed in windows, it's located only in usb section in device manager.
    I use virtualBOX to run VM with win10 on mac and this driver works there, but i found your coherence mode really pleasant so I wish to switch to Parralles Desktop. Anyway please take a look on that numbers: many enthusiast and many pro users of VCDS have got Macs so if you'll make this driver mountable in Paralles Desk total amount of new licence will rise. This is best time for this kind of feature when new Macs with M1 can't work in boot camp so the only way would be Paralles Desktop VM emulation in new windows ARM.
    I attached lower, some pictures where you can see that Parallels Desktop correctly detect storage device and mount it into VM, also it detect VCDS device but mounting is not possible to be don. I attached a link to usb device drivers if you need to check them.
    https://www15.zippyshare.com/v/HCSJ6mok/file.html

Attached Files:

2. PSG

PSG Member

There should be also option for mounting standard usb->COM Port drivers, FTDI, Prolific 2303 etc this is standard normal usb com port driver. It's sad it's not implemented in Parallels Desktop

3. PSG

PSG Member

I know you probably will not buy vcds just for testing - anyway this Company could give you a free sample if theirs products would be implemented in PD16 - so you can use any kind of cheap FTDI usb com port dongle. I pretty sure if you enable mounting for such device, my vcds will work too.

4. PSG

PSG Member

I found new lines in dispatcher.desktop.xml file, what other types of USB means?
    <UsbType>13</UsbType> type 13 I guess it's storage ( pendrive? )so maybe we could force PD16 to mount our usb com port devices using some other type of usb ? usb-LAN rj45 on AXIS chipset also doesn't work but this could be useless due to internal network driver used mac LAN
    Code:
     <UsbIdentity dyn_lists="Association 0" id="1">
                   <SystemName>VIRTUAL@MSC@41f0435trgdew34ret4ec0a10fe33f|203a|fff7|unknown|--|41f0cac934rtedqw345rtfd54542q54w10fe33f@/dev/disk2</SystemName>
                   <FriendlyName>SEMC SD CCR-80 Media (disk2)</FriendlyName>
                   <Index>1</Index>
                   <UsbType>13</UsbType>
                   <AssociationsNew dyn_lists="Association 0"/>
                </UsbIdentity>
                <UsbIdentity dyn_lists="Association 0" id="2">
                   <SystemName>14100000|0403|fa24|full|--|RT000001</SystemName>
                   <FriendlyName>Ross-Tech HEX-USB</FriendlyName>
                   <Index>1</Index>
                   <UsbType>0</UsbType>
                </UsbIdentity>
                <UsbIdentity dyn_lists="Association 0" id="3">
                   <SystemName>d100000|0b95|1790|super|--|00000000000049</SystemName>
                   <FriendlyName>AX88179</FriendlyName>
                   <Index>1</Index>
                   <UsbType>0</UsbType>
                </UsbIdentity>

5. PSG

PSG Member

new PD version 16.1.249151 with new parallels tools didn't fixed this issue, still only usb storage devices can be mounted to VM

6. PSG

PSG Member

finally I've got answer for my support ticket from Parallels Desktop support Team:
    This is clear statement that PD16 is useless for You if you wish to use other usb device than storage pandrive. Move to VirtualBox, we don't need you but anyway we will not give you money back.

OmegaZ likes this.
  7. PSG

PSG Member

there is no problem with all type of devices in free FUSION 12.1.0

Attached Files:

8. Jams3

Jams3 Bit poster

Wow, that is a very strange reaction from Parallels. Shame on them. I use an older MacBook for VCDS with Parallels 16, that works perfect. (Catalina) with VCDS and coherence mode. Why would they leave it out of the version for Big Surr?

9. PSG

PSG Member

probably they will make it "in future" until this time I recommend free Fusion 12.1.0
    problem lies in KEXT drivers which should be rewritten to DEXT version

10. A__16

A__16 Bit poster

WTF Parallels?????
    We need access to USB devices. This is absurd.
    My programming computer now is f'ing worthless.
    I use this from a MAC to program network and control systems devices.
    This needs to be addressed immediately. I lose money every day that I cannot program and I hold you responsible.

DmitrijM2, konrador and SergeiG1 like this.
  11. PSG

PSG Member

Final conclusion:
    in PRO/Standard version mounting of other than storage usb device works OK because this window shows up and you can click ALLOW or NOT
    in business version this window doesn't show up so only default device like storage usb would be mounted
    the question is:
    Why business version is cut from important feature ?

Attached Files:

12. Jams3

Jams3 Bit poster

I also use Parallels for my VCDS scanner and can not get it to work on PD 16.1.2 with Big Surr.
    Can you see the USB type in the dispatcher.desktop.xml file for the VCDS scanner with Parallels Standard version?

13. PSG

PSG Member

there is no changes in dispatcher XML file when vcds cable is mounted in VM windows but as I told before, there will be additional window displayed when you plug in vcds usb cable to usb port and after you will confirm access to ross-tech usb cable it will be mounted. Suddenly this additional windows doesn't show up in business edition
    lower it's a part from dispatcher xml file from PD 16.1.2.49151, and as you can see there is a type 0 same as before
    Code:
    <UsbIdentity dyn_lists="Association 0" id="2">
                   <SystemName>14100000|0403|fa24|full|--|RT000001</SystemName>
                   <FriendlyName>Ross-Tech HEX-USB</FriendlyName>
                   <Index>1</Index>
                   <UsbType>0</UsbType>
                   <AssociationsNew dyn_lists="Association 1"/>
                </UsbIdentity>

14. StaniJ

StaniJ Bit poster

I guess we still don't have a solution for this problem?

15. PSG

PSG Member

Maybe support could help us to fix issue with mounting usb other than storage in business version, but I think they will not do it for sure.

16. DenilsonF

DenilsonF Bit poster

alguma solução para p problema do usb? o meu também está com esse problema

17. PSG

PSG Member

Hakuna maraton usb pizdato nie rabotajet iz biznes.... speak english.

18. YashD1

YashD1 Bit poster

While i have the NEED for USB devices to connect due to the reason being I need the USB Blaster to be connected to windows, so I can Finish a COURSE that i am taking at the university.
    I have the business version of parallels, and i have also noticed, that, when I created a new account for the trial version of the standard/Pro Version.
    I did notice the same thing about the pop-up coming up.

One thing that I did try thoguh, was that I went to parallels>Preferences>USB BLASTER Set it to only run on Windows.
    However, when I switched back to the enterprise, edition.

I have noticed one thing. Which is that, everytime I switch between different editions, it installs the parallels tools on my windows again. Which makes me wonder if there are different parallels tools for the pro/Standard edition vs bussiness edition?
    If so, would we be able to solve the issue, by just installing parallels tools from the standard/pro edition

19. PSG

PSG Member

I had business edition and tools installed from business edition in VM win10, than I install trial pro version without reinstalling tools from pro and USB worked.
    This is something else fixed in pro version to bring that popup window

20. xiz2

xiz2 Bit poster

any solutions now ?

bahrif likes this.