OSX's on PD16 Hosted by Catalina

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JackS26, Jan 8, 2021.

1. JackS26

JackS26 Bit poster

Have been trying for 3 months and cannot get any OSX system to run on PD16. PD Tech support says to get an iso system file from Apple. Apple says it won't do that. I am about to give up on PD. It is becoming a failed career. The only support I get is one tech support pointing fingers at the other.
    Is it just me?

2. Mickey

Mickey Member

You just need to download the OS X Installer (from the Mac App Store application), and in PD 16 choose "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file". PD will create a bootable ISO from the Mac OS X Installer and create the VM.

For a list of OS X Installers you may get: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

3. JackS26

JackS26 Bit poster

Thanks Mickey. Your reply might be very helpful because I have been told on the telephone by Parallels Tech Support that I cannot do what you are describing. Tech Support tells me that I have to provide my own .iso file and when I do that, Parallels rejects it.
    I'll let you know and thanks again.
    Jack

4. Mickey

Mickey Member

Crossing fingers for you ! (Just a precision: I am using OS X Mojave as host, I just hope things have not changed if the Host is running Catalina - preventing the process I described to take place).
    Here some screen shots of the process:
    1: "File" => "New..." to start the create Virtual Machine process create new vm.jpg ; choose "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file", click "Continue"
    2: Choose the OS X Installer you have downloaded from the Mac App Store (look at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 for them): Choose OS X Installer.jpg , click "Continue"
    3: Parallels Desktop notifies he will first create an intermediate bootable image (ISO): PD cwill create bootable ISO.jpg
    4: once that intermediate image is created, Parallels Desktop will ask for the VM name, options, etc...
    5: after the whole process complete, you may delete the intermediate ISO file.

5. JackS26

JackS26 Bit poster

Mickey - I was so hopeful but absolutely every attempt which I have made to install any macos ends up at the same place. I am attaching a screen shot. There are no helpful choices here. I really appreciate the detailed effort which you are making to help me. Parallels starts out just as you described but then refuses to use the file. My focus is on High Sierra but I have tried Mohave, El Capitan and Sierra. All with the same failures. It just doesn't work.
    Since I've been working at this since October, I am close to concluding that Parallels 16 on Catalina does not work with legacy mac osx'es.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks so much,
    Jack

Attached Files:

6. Mickey

Mickey Member

Hi,
    maybe I miss something, you are saying "There are no helpful choices here". However, your screen shot shows an "Install Mac OS" choice, and a "Continue" button. What happens if you click "Continue" ? Normally it should Install the chosen Mac OS on the Virtual Machine. Do you get any error ?

7. JackS26

JackS26 Bit poster

It tries again and finall loops back to this same screen. It loops endlessly to this screen.

8. Mickey

Mickey Member

Maybe stupid question: do you have enough disk space (as PD has to create an intermediate ISO bootable image, it requires twice the normal space). Other than that, I am lost :-(
    Maybe someone has other ideas ?

9. Mickey

Mickey Member

One other idea I came onto: Are you sure the "Mac OS X Installer" you have is not too old ? Apple signed those installers and after a while, they ceased to run. If you launch the installer on you native host, what does it say ? (I know that normally you cannot run a High Sierra installer on Catalina, but it is only to see if you get something like "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified." which indicates the installer has expired and you need to download it again to get a fresh signed version.