macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. BrenoD

BrenoD Bit poster

Well @parallels I am on day 3 of the V.16 evaluation period and am not able to test anything due to this problem. Tech support is only available if you purchase... have an old version, but not even having an older version I get support... great way to treat users...

2. BrenoD

BrenoD Bit poster

Ok. here's what I came up with: if you go to "Parallel's Desktop Preferences/Devices" and chose "Connect It to to the Active Virtual Machine" when you connect any USB devices it will go to Parallels. but it will have to be reset EVERY TIME. meaning: THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH PARALLELS AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE. @parallels: you're welcome!

3. PSG

PSG Member

thanks BrenoD for a tip but I still can mount in VM only storage usb devices nothing else, like this usb to com port can't be mounted in VM but paralles see it correctly

Attached Files:

4. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

Hi All
    Just updated to PD 16.1.2 (49151) (hosted on Big Sur 11.1) and was anyone else having a similar problem ..... my windows and linux guests work fine, but my Big Sur guests (again 11.1) all fail to boot and PD errors. Hardware is a Mac Pro 5,1 with dual 6 core 3.46GHz Xeons, 96Gb RAM & flashed Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 (if it matters).

Half way through the boot progress bar, they just crash & the guest window closes.

Bit of fiddling and if the Parallels hypervisor is selected, they crash. If the Apple hypervisor is selected they boot, but at that half way point they go through a resolution change and revert to 1080p (they're set to 1280x800 and didn't change resolution before the update).

Once resolution inside the guest is set back to 1280x800 everything appears fine (apart from them having added 2-8 additional network interfaces inside the guests which may be related to the number of failed attempts to boot), but was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with Big Sur guests and the Parallels hypervisor.

Alex

5. DidierMalenfant

DidierMalenfant Bit poster

Yep. Exact same issue, started with the latest Parallels update and bricked one of my VMs. Your fix sorted it out for now.

6. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

My guess is it's a guest tools issue, possibly graphics driver ... the guest initially booted up fine after the PD update, it was only after the tools were auto updated that problems occurred

7. PSG

PSG Member

finally I've got answer for my support ticket from Parallels Desktop support Team about other than usb storage devices:

This is clear statement that PD16 is useless for You if you wish to use other usb device than storage pandrive. Move to VirtualBox, we don't need you :( .

8. PSG

PSG Member

also any kind of mobile phones are not supported

9. PSG

PSG Member

there is no problem with all type of devices in free FUSION 12.1.0

Attached Files:

10. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Hi @Maria@Parallels. Do you have any updates to share regarding when bridged mode networking will start working reliably on a Big Sur host?

11. JackP4

JackP4 Bit poster

I have same problme in my bigsur update. I recently install FreeReward Application in my macos but it crash and unable to open. But previous update it is working properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  12. riesa

riesa Bit poster

Hi, everything seems to be working well, except my spotlight indexing never completes, even if i use sudo mdutil -E / in terminal to restart it.
    I wonder if parallels is interfering with my indexing. Is that possible?

13. UlfR

UlfR Bit poster

Hi I got a problem:
    System: iMac 27" 2020, i9
    macOS Big Sur 16.2.
    Parallels Desktop 16.1.2

When I open windows via Parallels my iMac freezes after a while of retirement. Does anybody know this issue?

Sorry for my bad English

14. riesa

riesa Bit poster

No I haven't seen that issue. Have you got enough ram assigned to your parallels partition? I have 128gb which is the maximum i think. If you haven't got enough ram and you suspect it is a cause, there is some setting in parallels that gives your partition some kind of fake ram I think.

15. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

What macOS are you using?

16. FuenW

FuenW Bit poster

I have a same issue here...

17. DavidB13

DavidB13 Bit poster

New to forum here... I ran the uninstaller, and downgraded to Parallels 15, and VMs started working.

18. 4everJang

4everJang Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac Pro Edition, version 16.5.0 on a 16" 2019 MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.2.3. I have a 4K second screen attached via the DGRule HDMI port. So far, so good. But when I wake the Mac from sleep, Parallels cannot handle the second screen anymore - it is completely black when I switch to any Windows app. Selecting a Mac app shows there is no problem with the graphic card or HDMI interface as everything shows up as it should. But switching to any Windows app again makes the second screen go completely black again. After I exit and re-enter Coherence View, I can move Windows application windows to the second screen again and it works fine. I suggest the developers do a more thorough test on using second screens in Coherence View before the next update. This is annoying and should have been found before releasing the Big Sur update.

19. 4everJang

4everJang Bit poster

One more thing that does not work well after waking my Mac from sleep with a second screen attached. I move a Windows application to the second screen. which is larger than my MacBook screen. But when I try to resize the application window, nothing happens - the cursor does not change into the resize handle. It looks like Windows (i.e. Parallels) does not know the dimensions of the second screen. Coherence View with multiple screens seems to be an underdeveloped area.

20. DigitalC3

DigitalC3 Bit poster

Hii, i am new here