Windows 10 Performance Degradation when using npm/yarn

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SirCodesALot, Jan 16, 2021.

1. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

I've noticed while developing a web application that over time the performance is horrible after a while and I believe it may be related to something to some kind of disk I/O or throttling. I cannot put my finger on it other than the many years of experience I have using VS in a parallels VM on my new MacBook Pro. The hardware I have on this beast of a machine, there is no way this should happen. Sometimes I have to restart the VM (eg Win +X -> Shutdown -> Restart) at least once after I start the VM just to get the performance I'm looking for and frankly should be there. Has anyone else experienced prolonged degradation after lots of disk I/O?

I found the "Adaptive Hypervisor" setting recently and disabled to it to see if that may have effected it, but it's not the case.

Here's my System Info:

Host:
    ----------------------------------------------

Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    Memory: 64 GB DDR4
    Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Parallels Desktop Pro 16 for Mac
    Version: 16.1.2 (49151)

VM:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    Memory: 16.0 GB

2. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

After doing some hunting around the forums, I came across some older posts that described switching to the Apple hypervisor. I have to say, it feels like I'm running Windows 10 at native speed! It's crazy how different the performance is especially when dealing with high disk I/O from npm/yarn!

The downside however is while I have all that performance, I cannot use Docker Desktop :-/ as Apple's hypervisor doesn't support nested virtualization.

I did have that enabled when using the Parallels hypervisor - I wonder if that was causing some kind of issue. (Before you ask no Docker/Hyper-V isn't stating up automagically).

I'm going to try that to see if that was indeed the culprit. If so, that's an area I would highly recommend some more research go into.