Leopard issues with Parallels 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkwuc89, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ebaur

ebaur Bit poster

I managed to solve my issue with the installer hanging in 10.5. I turned off Internet Sharing (I had my WiFi setup to share out the ethernet connection).

As soon as that was turned off, the installtion preflight went very quickly.

For anyone who's intersted, you can tell where the installer is stuck by looking at the Activity Monitor - put it in the heirachial view - and look at the processes started by the installer. You'll see that "Internet Sharing" is listed (the actually binary is in /user/libexec/InternetSharing"). I couldn't tell (by looking at the preflight script) why they were calling this program, and I could get it to run via the command line myself... but turning off that feature in the Sharing preference pane and then restarting the installer fixed the issue.

2. steve84mb

steve84mb Bit poster

Issue after upgrading to Leopard

hello there have any of you guys come across this message when running windows xp pro under the parallels 5540 beta build:

the installed macfuse version is too new for the operating system.
    please downgrade your macfuse installation to one that is compatible
    with the currently running operating system.

this is displayed a couple of times at startup of the virtual system but doesn't seem to affect the windows OS, its annoying though. i'm running leopard by the way.

any idea how to fix it?

3. nvrmore100

nvrmore100 Member

Ok complete stupid workaround, but worked for me anyhow. Try this:

When the installer hangs (assuming it's stuck on the preflight step, which it was over and over for me):

Open up terminal:

$ cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop/Install\ Parallels\ Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources/
    $ ./preflight

It may spit out some errors, but it eventually gets the installer going again. Once reinstalled, everything is working again.

4. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

Still have hanging installer

I tried your fix with no success. Here is the screen text:

iMac:~ myusername$ cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop/Install\ Parallels\ Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources/
    iMac:Resources myusername$ ./preflight
    grep: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels.app/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory
    ./preflight: line 82: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels: No such file or directory
    kill: 311: Operation not permitted
    kill: 311: Operation not permitted[/I]

I have uninstalled Paralles build 5160. I have run disk permissions fix. I have gone into terminal and deleted some files from another suggested fix. The only thing I can find related to Parallels are my .hdd files. Every time I try to install, the installer hangs. Arg!

5. ofey

ofey Bit poster

Strange Problem

Hi,
    I'm running 10.5 Leopard from a fresh install and Parallels 5160.

I installed Windows XP using BootCamp and it resides on a 15GB partition. After completing my whole setup, I installed Parallels 5160 and addressed the BootCamp partition as my Windows install. Whenever I attempt to start up using Parallels, the PD provides the following msg:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

I have no problems starting up to windows directly using BootCamp and it runs fine.

Help anyone?

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

ofey, please try to install MacFUSE 1.0.0.

SanDiegoJim and mmulin, could you check if this will work:

1. At the moment of freeze, open Terminal application (Applications - Utilities) and execute the commands below without quotation marks:
    cd /Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources
    sudo ./preflight

2. Also this can help:
    - Check, if Internet Sharing is enabled (Mac -> System preferences -> Sharing).
    - If so, please disable Internet Sharing. Installation will be finished properly.
    - After the installation enable Internet Sharing if required.

steve84mb, please run in Terminal this command:
    kextstat |grep fuse
    We'd like to see the output.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. armadin

armadin Bit poster

I just got the MacFUSE error on my first start up after upgrading to leopard.

Right now things look frozen on the PC side, XP.

--rob

8. cameron

cameron Bit poster

I am also getting the hal.dll errors (in Boot Camp on 10.5) and the inability to load the VM after shutting down the VM with the 'Stop' button (when Windows refuses to shut down, as it often does). This is with WinXP SP2 on MacPro on the Boot Camp partition. The first time this happened, I was able to restore using the SP2 install disk in the recovery mode as outlined at:

http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

after which I was able to reboot to Boot Camp, but lost use of my USB keyboard and mouse (only in Boot Camp). Then I boot into Leopard (which fortunately works just fine) and boot into Parallels Boot Camp and things work just fine again. Reboot back into Boot Camp, keyboard/mouse works again. Must reactivate though - although it didn't require a call to MS, if it did it would have been much more aggravating, because....

...it happened again this morning. Couldn't boot in Parallels, couldn't boot in Boot Camp. SECOND try in Parallels after the initial Boot Camp boot failed (again, for corrupted or missing hal.dll), it magically worked. Whew.

I've been a Parallels user since the beginning at home and work, but I think we've got a bit ahead with ourselves with new features without addressing some really scary problems. I've had more issues (in the past year) with kernel panics from Parallels (as identified in the trace debug dump) than from anything else. And I can't imagine how this hal.dll thing wouldn't lead the novice user to think that all his/her files on the windows side are completely gone. Please, PLEASE - this stuff needs to be fixed. I like Parallels generally better than VMware, but at a certain point, I can't accept something that has the relative stability of Windows 95 for my day-to-day tasks.

9. armadin

armadin Bit poster

I just downloaded and installed MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.1.1 and Parallels started up fine this time, Windows disk mounted on the mac and all.

System seems okay.

cheers,
    rob

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

11. sawxray

sawxray Bit poster

I second that

Xenos-

I have got to add my two cents to what Cameron is saying. I am on the road overseas, have exactly the same problem with a fresh installation of XP, and went out on a wild limb by shutting down my computer one evening. I suppose I was asking for it!

Now I can not get the Parallels software to STOP altering my boot.ini file every time I shut down my VM. Instead of listing two configurations, with 1 as Parallels and 3 as Windows XP Pro, I keep finding a boot.ini that only has the Parallels config. When I try to run Boot Camp, I can only choose Parallels, which of course doesn't work.

When I go back into Parallels/Windows XP, I can edit the boot.ini file to the previous. But Parallels refuses to save it in such a state, so my Boot Camp partition is inaccessible to me.

Is anybody working on this issue? I have seen it multiple other places on a Google search.

Thanks

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello sawxray,

The issue you've got has come up as a result of incorrect work finishing.
    As you've noticed, your boot.ini file can not now switch from VM to Boot Camp and vice versa properly.
    To fix the issue you should try to Repair Windows XP installation.
    There is also a thread where you can find some good advices by our users.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  13. Paul Gillingwater

Paul Gillingwater Bit poster

I'm not using Boot Camp. I upgraded to Leopard, and to Parallels beta 3.0 build 5540, and still get OSX to panic:

Tue Nov 13 14:24:04 2007
    panic(cpu 1 caller 0x001A7670): "kernel_trap(0x3429ba64) with 64-bit state"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228/osfmk/i386/trap.c:338
    Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    0x3429b918 : 0x12b0e1 (0x4555b4 0x3429b94c 0x133238 0x0)
    0x3429b968 : 0x1a7670 (0x45e454 0x3429ba64 0x0 0x1000)
    0x3429ba48 : 0x19e517 (0x3429ba64 0x3fff000 0x0 0x3429bbb0)
    0x3429ba5c : 0xb3d93c0 (0xf 0x63216e75 0x0 0x6d616769)
    0x3429bbb0 : 0x35a1c554 (0x3441d332 0xdeadbeef 0x246 0x0)
    0x3429bbe8 : 0x3441e082 (0x35a1c540 0x3429bc1c 0x108 0x1a1912)
    0x3429bd48 : 0x34419940 (0xb282e04 0xc0185405 0x3429bed0 0x1efb9f)
    0x3429bd78 : 0x200a0d (0x13000000 0xc0185405 0x3429bed0 0x81)
    0x3429bdb8 : 0x1f3e66 (0x3429bde8 0x246 0x3429be18 0x1d803e)
    0x3429be18 : 0x1ea123 (0x43c3320 0xc0185405 0x3429bed0 0x81)
    0x3429be78 : 0x362e81 (0x4308710 0xc0185405 0x3429bed0 0x3429bf50)
    0x3429be98 : 0x3897e1 (0x4308710 0xc0185405 0x3429bed0 0x3429bf50)
    0x3429bf78 : 0x3da8b0 (0x6510c20 0xae23a00 0xae23a44 0xffffffff)
    0x3429bfc8 : 0x19ea34 (0xb0576c0 0x1 0x1a10b5 0xb0576c0)
    No mapping exists for frame pointer
    Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xb01a4ef8
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.parallels.kext.vmmain(3.0)@0x34418000->0x34427fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Parallels

Mac OS version:
    9A581

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386
    System model name: MacBookPro2,1 (Mac-F42189C8)

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the report. The issue is reproduced by our QA team and will be fixed in the next update. You should try reinstalling Parallels as described in known issues and workarounds.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. cameron

cameron Bit poster

Xenos:

Yes, I did repair Windows XP - by copying a new hal.dll into the proper directory, per the instructions I linked to in my earlier post. After that, it was smooth sailing for a few sessions (rebooted several times without a problem), until Windows refused to quit when in Parallels, and I had to hit 'Stop'. It then refused to boot into Parallels *and* Boot Camp due to corrupt or missing hal.dll.

Repairing solves the problem, but one doesn't always have lots of time set aside to fix this all-too-common problem (which is due in no small part to Windows itself). Hope this one can get addressed in a future build.

Cameron

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

cameron, please sorry I've overlooked the fact you did repair Windows XP.
    The hal.dll errors are coming up as a result of incorrect Windows work finishing. Unexpected quit may corrupt Windows system files. This is true for regular PCs as well, not just for Parallels Desktop. You should shut down in a proper way.
    So the question is Why your Windows refuses to shut down? Could you give more information on this issue?

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. sawxray

sawxray Bit poster

Xenos-

Thank you for the reply, but....

I don't carry my Windows XP installation disk with me when I go overseas, for a number of reasons.

No matter, because even when I replace the boot.ini file in Parallels when I can get XP to start in Safe Mode, if I close down parallels, then restart my Mac in BootCamp, I STILL cannot boot.

Please tell me what you meant by this finishing problem.

Apparently, Parallels alters my boot.ini file at some point. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to get it to stop. I do not want my BootCamp partition corrupted. That is just not fair of you.

Please let me be. If Parallels won't work, tell me how to get it to leave the rest of my computer alone. DO NOT alter my BootCamp partition. Do you hear me?

I have a business to run, and resent the fact that your software is digging so deep into my previously running XP system software that it is corrupting the very startup process. I refuse to fly back from Asia because your software is doing this.

I want my partition back!

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

sawxray, I've drawn from your first post that you've got this boot.ini file problem after finishing Windows work incorrectly. I mean when you want to finish your work, you should go to Start and click Shut Down, not just click red button on your VM menu. If I'm wrong, please give me more details on the circumstances preceding the moment you realize you've got this problem again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. sawxray

sawxray Bit poster

There is no reason to assume that, except for your own convenience.

Where did you get that?

I shut down through Windows start menu, and after it was completely closed, quit Parallels.

Regardless, I want my machine back. Please stop stalling. Even if you thought the above, you did not provide any solution.

Stop stalling. Please.

20. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

sawxray,

Parallels Desktop modifies Windows boot.ini in order to correctly tell Windows that hardware configuration is changing while you are running it in the virtualized environment. Your boot.ini should contain two records for Windows: one with Boot Camp hardware configuration and another one with VM hardware configuration.
    These entries are being checked and used automatically by Parallels Desktop in order to not cause you switching the hardware configuration modes manually and cause possible confusion.
    BootCamp partition itself is not affected.
    Please provide your current Windows boot.ini contents so we could troubleshoot the problem.