Toolbox - Download Video - Not working with YouTube

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by JimP52, Jan 31, 2021.

1. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Hi,
    I have seen recent posts about Parallels Toolbox - Download Video not working.
    I am also having this problem with YouTube videos. Seems like all YouTube videos are failing.
    Have attempted to contact support for Parallels Toolbox through Twitter, but no response.
    Jim P.

2. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Hit enter a little too soon.
    My environment is Mac OS X 10.15.4 and Toolbox is Version 4.1.1 (3698)

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,
    could you please share any of links to problem video? Overall downloading from youtube should work, may be the problem affects only the certain videos?

4. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Here are a few examples:

5. sergk

These videos should work without problems.
    Please check if you have enabled VPN, ad blockers or something similar. They can affect possibility of downloading.

6. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Where would I check for these settings?
    I don't use a VPN.
    If I don't have a browser active at the time I initiate a Toolbox Video Download, how would an ad blocker have an affect?
    What is "something similar"?
    I was able to download videos recently, and then it just stopped working.

7. sergk

8. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Created report ID - 360934506

9. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Not sure if "sergk" saw this so replying again.
    Created report ID - 360934506

10. sergk

Thanks for report ID,

But I don't see information about failures of Download Video in your report. Please do the next:
    - Enable 'Use detailed log messages' option in Toolbox preferences (open Toolbox window -> cogwheel -> Preferences);
    - Restart Download Video tool;
    - Try to download any video again;
    - Generate technical report again and post its ID here again.

11. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Here is another ID - 361032465

12. sergk

Very strange, still no info about failure.
    Does Download Video shows notification about an error?
    Also check in Preferences application that Parallels Toolbox has access to Downloads folder:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 17.16.53.png

13. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Parallels Toolbox has access to my "Downloads" folder.
    I have followed your instructions on how to submit my error, so not sure what more I can do.
    Here is the error that I receive and I have tried the two options suggested, many times.
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.51.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.51.32 AM.png

14. sergk

Let's check if internal utility that actually downloads the video works fine. In Terminal launch this command:
    Code:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Toolbox.app/Contents/Applications/Download\ Video.app/Contents/Resources/dl https://youtu.be/zA8pVC_tPt8
    It will launch downloading of first video you've provided earlier. Wait till completion and copy paste output from Terminal here. Note - if downloading is successful then launch this command
    Code:
    open .
    to open folder in Finder.

15. JimP52

JimP52 Member

Here is the contents of my Terminal session:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The default interactive shell is now zsh.
    To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
    For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
    MBP-2014-Jim:~ jkpalmer$ /Applications/Parallels\ Toolbox.app/Contents/Applications/Download\ Video.app/Contents/Resources/dl
    [youtube] zA8pVC_tPt8: Downloading webpage
    ERROR: Unable to download webpage: HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests (caused by HTTPError()); please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; type youtube-dl -U to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.
    MBP-2014-Jim:~ jkpalmer$
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Jim Palmer

16. sergk

Looks like youtube blocked your IP for some time because of too many requests to download the videos. Usually the possibility to download returns after some days.

17. JimP52

JimP52 Member

I did a search on the internet for something that discusses YouTube blocking my IP because of too many requests to download videos. I was not successful.
    Would it be possible for you to share more information about YouTube's download limits and practices with dealing with abuse?
    Jim P.

18. sergk

> Would it be possible for you to share more information about YouTube's download limits and practices with dealing with abuse?
    We can't control and we don't know how and why youtube (or any other video hosting) blocks requests. But practice shows that if you're using tools that downloads video from youtube too often (dozens of times per day) youtube just blocks you. There are some tricks you can try:
    1) Use VPN while download videos. It will change your IP and you will be able to download videos.
    2) Try to launch this command from Terminal. I added "--force-ipv4" parameter, it may help. Copy and paste here output of this command.
    Code:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Toolbox.app/Contents/Applications/Download\ Video.app/Contents/Resources/dl --force-ipv4 https://youtu.be/zA8pVC_tPt8

19. JimP52

JimP52 Member

The download started. I terminated it before it completed because I had already downloaded this video and didn't need another copy.
    I will check into VPN use, but the command that you supplied worked.
    Thanks.