Hide Menu Icons applet crashes every boot or if I click on it or it's preferences

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by DonaldF5, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DonaldF5

DonaldF5 Bit poster

This applet has been crashing on boot for at least 4 months. I am not certain if an update caused it or something else. It was crashing and sending a technical data report before Big Sur, after the Big Sur upgrade and now with the Big Sur point release.

This crash happens with anything related to the applet, whether be Parallels Toolbox launching, selecting it after the machine has fully booted and finished starting all startup applications, or even if I select the gear icon beside it in Parallels Toolbox.

I've uninstalled Parallels Toolbox and reinstalled it with a fresh installation package from the Parallels download page.

Other Parallels Toolbox items seem to work correctly, and Parallels VMs continue to work well most of the time.

Machine is a 2018 MacBook Pro with 6-i9 procs, 32G RAM and 1T NVME. I am not experiencing issues with other apps.

I install BarTender 4 and that is working for me, however I prefer to stick with Parallels if possible, not to mention that I cannot seem to stop Hide Menu Icons from launching every time Parallels Toolbox launches. I can't go to the Hide Menu Icon preferences to tell it not to execute at startup, if that's even an option.

My latest Technical Data Report ID is 360969251.

After 4 months of not figuring it out myself, I'm finally asking for help. Got any ideas?

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

Try this:
    - In Terminal application run:
    Code:
    defaults delete com.parallels.toolbox.HideMenuIcons
    - In Finder open "~/Library/Application Support" folder and remove "com.parallels.toolbox.HideMenuIcons" directory from it;
    It will drop all saved preferences of Hide Menu Icons
    - Launch Hide Menu Icons and place one icon into 'hidden' set.