Big Sur installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ParallelsU519, Dec 17, 2020.

1. node.pl

node.pl Bit poster

For me guest MacOS is also the only important use case. Please inform about the plans.

2. KevinG13

KevinG13 Bit poster

+1 Running a guest MacOS is my primary need for Parallels. I am a consultant and test software and enrollment workflows for clients.

3. node.pl

node.pl Bit poster

I am interested too. Without virtual MacOS guest using M1 machine for a work is impossible for me.
    I guess it should be much easier than running Windows or Linux. Parallels 16 (or 17) with only this feature would be very much appreciated, even without ability to have Linux nor Windows guests.

Kuestner and DKim like this.
  4. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

This may be seemingly tougher than what it appears given the amount of low level verification checks that Apple has put in place for M1 hardware. Just saying.

5. FaisalI2

FaisalI2 Bit poster

It would be really helpful if the parallel team can comment on the progress or limitations to have Big Sur run as a guest OS on m1. If there is a clear indication on the expected timeline of support, I would rather return the m1 Mac mini and get the intel based one as I have some team members waiting for it to be rolled out to them.

Kuestner likes this.
  6. _thalamus

_thalamus Junior Member

It's not insurmountable, but Apple has significantly changed the way that M1 Macs boot - they are more akin to iOS and use iBoot rather than UEFI, so that will create some challenges in virtualising it.
    https://eclecticlight.co/2021/01/14/m1-macs-radically-change-boot-and-recovery/
    I think people pestering for an ETA is unreasonable - this is a 'technical preview' - ie, less than alpha quality. It'll be working when they've made it work. If you need something now where you can virtualise Big Sur - use an intel Mac.

kundanno likes this.
  7. _thalamus

_thalamus Junior Member

Even if you could shim between UEFI and the macOS kernel (which is expecting to be started by iBoot) I think the problem will be the fact that Big Sur ARM64 almost certainly doesn't support a generic aarch64 architecture, which is what Parallels is emulating.
    I find it entirely improbable that Apple would waste time supporting generic aarch64 boards when they have no intention of allowing it to be run on hardware other than their own, particularly when their own SOC has deviated significantly from standard ARM designs.

8. OBL

OBL Bit poster

9. FaisalI2

FaisalI2 Bit poster

Can we get a response from the official team that is actually working on this? It would be nice to get some information even if it is, we are working on it.

StewartT1 likes this.
  10. DKim

DKim Bit poster

When are you planning to support macOS Big Sur VM?

11. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried going the "Hackintosh" route? I suspect the moment MacOS detects an Arm processor, it assumes it is M1...

12. CraigS8

CraigS8 Bit poster

Just completed a seamless installation on Big Sur with the Windows 10 ISO. Couldn't have been easier

13. CraigS8

CraigS8 Bit poster

Just completed a seamless installation on Big Sur with the Windows 10 ISO. Couldn't have been easier

14. StewartT1

StewartT1 Bit poster

This thread is for installing a Big Sur guest; not Windows.

_thalamus and JasonH28 like this.
  15. DKim

DKim Bit poster

I'm interesting when will be possible to create Big Sur VM hosted on Apple M1 Mac, i.e. installation on Big Sur with Big Sur ISO.

16. CraigS8

CraigS8 Bit poster

That shows you what a novice I am. Thanks for the explanation. You folks are way past my level. Good luck

17. CraigS8

CraigS8 Bit poster

THanks. I totally misunderstood. Good luck with your quest

18. RetoG1

RetoG1 Bit poster

Any news on this topic? It would be very nice to have official statement. Many thanks!

db_2 likes this.
  19. FaisalI2

FaisalI2 Bit poster

Is there a way to get in touch with Parallels team directly on this? The technical preview has been available for a while. It would be nice to know if this is not possible due to some limitation so another solution can be figured out to run a MacOS as guest OS.

RetoG1 likes this.
  20. ParallelsU579

ParallelsU579 Bit poster

I'm in the same place as others, waiting for parallels to support macOS on M1. Thought it would be easier to implement an Arm-based macOS VM on an Arm-based Macbook. But here we are, Windows and Linux users getting priority over Mac users, on a Macbook!
    PS: Can someone enlighten me on the point of running an Arm-based windows VM? I assume most of windows softwares don't support that.