Will Parallels Desktop 15 run Parallels 10 VMs straight off?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ParallelsU130, Jan 12, 2021.

1. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

I'm expecting I will have to upgrade from Mavericks to Sierra in order to continue browsing. To this end, I've created a Parallels 10 VM for Mavericks (alongside my existing Snow Leopard VM), so that I can duplicate my existing OS as far as possible.

However, Parallels 10 won't run in Sierra so I'm planning to upgrade to Parallels 15. In Sierra + Parallels 15, will my existing P10 VMs run straight off, without having to do any extra work like conversion? Obviously there may be a delay the first time I run them, but can I just sit back and wait while any upgrading takes place in the background?

Some EXPERT advice by someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY READ THIS, will be appreciated.

2. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

Someone please answer? SOON. This is only a difficult question for someone like me, who doesn't know the answer. I would have expected a reply by now.

3. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

Oh come on. For God's sake, SOMEONE must know the answer to this, or do you just not care???

4. Pyrrho

Pyrrho Bit poster

There probably aren't too many people on this forum still running Mavericks or Sierra. Apple stopped releasing security updates for them years ago.

5. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

"There probably aren't too many people on this forum still running Mavericks or Sierra. Apple stopped releasing security updates for them years ago."
    That wasn't my question. All I want to know is : will Parallels 15 open Parallels 10 VMs straight off without any further conversion. The particular OS involved is not relevant.

6. Pyrrho

Pyrrho Bit poster

The reason there's so little interest is because a VM from that long ago would be using an OS so old that few would want to use it. So yes, the OS is relevant because the age of your VMs makes them non-relevant.

7. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

"The reason there's so little interest is because a VM from that long ago would be using an OS so old that few would want to use it. So yes, the OS is relevant because the age of your VMs makes them non-relevant."
    No, I'm sorry - it's NOT relevant. The whole point of Mac VMs are to be able to run an OS that may be very old, in my case a VM running OSX 10.6.8.
    I'll rephrase my question to make it easier for you and others to answer. Do Parallels upgrades (*FOR EXAMPLE* Parallels 10 to 15, but IN GENERAL) allow an existing VM to be double clicked and run straight off in the upgrade without further tweaking / conversion / intervention?

8. Pyrrho

Pyrrho Bit poster

If you never upgrade your host OS, sure. But you do, so it's relevant because there's no such thing as infinite backwards compatibility. We don't know those limits. Open a ticket w/Parallels and ask them.

9. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

"Open a ticket w/Parallels and ask them"
    What do you think I'm doing here!