Mouse and keyboard don't work in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by premonition, Sep 26, 2007.

1. wildd86

wildd86 Bit poster

In response to your first post, I have tried it and the issue that comes up is the mouse and keyboard (see above).

As far as your second comment goes, Boot Camp runs much smoother and is much faster. I use Parallels without Boot Camp on another machine and it's fine, but it's not nearly as fast as with Boot Camp.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

wildd86, but still when you are using Paralles, you use virtual hardware system. And it contradicts the Microsoft End User License Agreement.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

I, too, am having the same problem as described in this thread. Am I correct in assuming that in order to fix this bug, that I MUST deinstall and reinstall the application? Please advise.

4. Kartens

Kartens Bit poster

Same problem.

Hi there.

I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 17" 2,4 GHz with 2 GB memory. Leopard is installed with the Up-To-Date DVD Apple has sent me, so I'm using version 10.5.

The Parallels I'm using is version 3.0 (5160), I just installed it, assigning it to my working Boot Camp Partition.

The problem is that when the VM (Win XP - Boot Camp) boots, it can't install the Parallels install package because I can't press any keys.
    It seems like it's hanging because it won't even react on Actions->Send Keys->Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Any way this can be solved, I tried everything allready said in this thread. Sorry for pushing on, but I really need this to work, so tired off restarting everytime I need to change system.

Sincerly,

Karsten Sørensen

5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

mudshark1,
    yes, you are right. You need to perform the full re-installation of Parallels Desktop.

Kartens,
    did you try to reinstall Parallels Desktop? Does you mouse work in Parallels?

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. Kartens

Kartens Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

Yes, I have reinstalled Parallels Desktop twice, I've used the workarounds described earlier in this thread, but none of them seems to be working. The problem is that either my mouse or keyboard is working in parallels...

Please say if you need more information.

/Karsten Sørensen

7. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Thanks for the info ... unfortunately, I'm 2K miles from home, and I don't have the install disk available.

8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

Kartens,
    could you please specify the issues with your mouse? And please tell me what type of mouse are you using?
    Also could you please send me two files:
    1. *.pvs file of your VM. Please go 'Users' -> <User name> -> 'Documents' -> 'Parallels' -> <VM name>. There you can find the .pvs file of your VM.
    2. Click 'About this Mac' in Mac menu, then click 'More Info' in appeared window. In Mac menu choose 'File' -> 'Save'. Please use 'plain text' as File Format.
    I will send you my E-mail via PM. Please send these files to this E-mail.

mudshark1,
    do you have US/UK version or a localized one?

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. Kartens

Kartens Bit poster

The mouse just doesn't work, I can't use it, the keyboard doesn't work either... I've tried with both the mousepad, the wireless mighty mouse and a Logitech USB mouse, nothing is working, it seems like the VM is hanging.

10. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Per your request, I have followed the instructions on "Uninstalling and Reinstalling Parallels Desktop." Same results: still no mouse or keyboard support. Please advise.

11. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

FYI ... I am using the US version.

12. Kartens

Kartens Bit poster

Ok, so I've got my system working now.

I uninstalled my XP, first through Parallels, then through Boot Camp.
    I then installed Windows Vista Ultimate, again through Boot Camp, then chose the partition in Parallels. This worked for about 10 minutes, then I got a BSD first ind windows, then in Mac OS 10.5.

I read some threads about other problems and found that the solution to some problems was to install MacFUSE http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list

I tried that, and know everything works just fine...

/Karsten Sørensen

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

mudshark1,
    could you please tell me your System Preferences, your version of Mac OS and of Parallels Desktop?

Kartens,
    thank you for your feedback. We will investigate this problem and MacFUSE solution.

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

I'm running a MacBook 2.16 GHz with 2GB mem. OSX 10.4.10. Parallels 3.0 (Build 5160). Also ... Which SysPrefs would you like?

Just so we're clear here: I HAVE successfully installed XP Pro and it's running just fine. The problem has to do with my Parallels Transfer image. It took nearly 15 hours to transfer the PC image to my Mac. Upon execution of the new image, that's when I have the problems with the keyboard and mouse. Also, when I F8 to inturrupt the loading to enter "Safe Mode" I DO have keyboard support. (I'm thinking there is a Windoze driver that is getting in the way ...)

15. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Stacy,

FYI ... I'm finally back at home, and have decided to try a couple more things b4 giving up entirely:
    - I have Trashed the original VM image of my WinXP Pro machine that I created with Transporter.
    - I have Deinstalled and Reinstalled Parallels 3.0/5160, per the instructions in this Forum
    - I have created a "new" WinXP Pro SP2 VM from scratch, and all works fine.
    - I am now attempting to use Parallels Transporter to again transfer my WinXP Pro SP2 PC to my MacBook (I'm expecting this to take the remainder of the day, as I'm transferring nearly 95GB over a 1Gb network).
    - Once the transfer is complete, I will attempt to start the "new" VM.
    - Also, I am NOT using BootCamp, nor is it installed.

Please advise if there is anything else I need to know or do. Thanks

btw - You had asked for my "System Prefs." What exactly are you looking for?

16. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

mudshark1,
    please while running the VM open 'Devices' -> 'USB'. Is there any tick near the 'Apple Internal Keyboard'?
    If no, please try to install Parallels Tools in Safe Mode.

Best regards,
    Stacey

17. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Stacy,

FYI ... I have "re-transferred," using Transporter, the full image from my WinXP Pro PC (actually 44.03GB - which took 15 hours over a 1Gb network). I double-click the shortcut on the desktop, and ... voila - the same problem: no, keys, mouse, or "send keys" function.

I have, again, interrupted the startup by pressing F8. Again, I DO have keys (cursor) control here. When selecting "Safe Mode," the VM greets me with the "Ctl+Alt+Del" option - still no keys, mouse or "send keys."

As I'm now home, I have connected my external keys & mouse to the MacBook. In checking the USB options, there are NO ticks next to either "Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad," "Apple Keyboard," or "Apple Optical USB Mouse." I have tried to install Parallels Tools into this VM, but, as I can't "log in," it won't work.

At this point, I am convinced this is an issue with Transporter not building the bootable disk properly. I have also posted this problem on the Transporter Forum page, as I noticed there seems to be a similar pattern here. See: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=88055#post88055

Your assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

18. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you try to repair your Windows installation?
    If no, please perform the following steps:
    1. Open your Virtual Machine.
    2. Click on the CD/DVD-ROM device to open its settings.
    3. Make sure that "Emulation" is set to "Use CD/DVD-ROM".
    4. Click on the "Options" menu on the left side of the Configuration Editor.
    5. Click on the "Booting" tab on the right side.
    6. Set "Boot Sequence" to "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy"
    7. Click "OK" to close Configuration Editor.
    8. Put Windows XP installation disk to your Mac CD/DVD drive.
    9. Start the Virtual Machine.
    10. Windows should ask you to press any key to boot from the CD - click inside the VM window to capture input and press any key.
    11. Windows Setup should start loading, wait for it to load completely then press Enter (Return) key.
    12. Press F8 (or Fn+F8) to accept Windows License Agreement.
    13. Now Windows should scan your VM for the existing Windows installation - wait for it to finish and choose to repair existing installation.
    14. Wait for the repair operation to finish.
    15. Try starting Windows again.

Best regards,
    Stacey

19. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

I've followed your instructions, but when I get to Step nine, I notice the CD/DVD icon has a red "X" indicating it is "Disconnected." I'm never presented with a "press any key to boot from CD ..." message
    I've even pressed "Pause" to stop the bootup process, select the CD/DVD icon, and select "Connect to ..." I then see that it connects, and then the CD icon (of the WinXP Disk) disappears from my desktop. I then click the green "Start" button, and I get the same results.
    I'm never able to get to Step 10. Please advise.

20. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Got it ... there was a switch for "Connect at Startup" that was not selected. I have selected and restarted. Seems 2b botting from CD now ... Let's see what happens.