Mouse and keyboard don't work in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by premonition, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

I'm about 75% thru the "repair," and Windows is not recognizing a number of the filenames on the CD. (e.g. it is looking for files with .exe or .dll as suffix). The files ARE showing up, but without suffixes. Should I just bypass these files?

2. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Bypassed those files ... WinXP VM rebooted and seems to be working. Installing Tools, and will run some more tests. I'll keep you posted.

3. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

Installed Tools ... VM then auto-Rebooted in Windows Setup

4. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

All is well ... had to do some tweaking, but nevertheless, all is working (even my VPN). THANKS STACY!

5. iDrinkKoolAid

iDrinkKoolAid Junior Member

Hello,

My keyboard on my 15-inch MacBook Pro works under Windows XP SP2 using Boot Camp, but neither my trackpad or my Apple Bluetooth mouse do.

Now I un-installed and re-installed Parallels, but now my Boot Camp virtual machine won't even start up.

As I am performing my graduate thesis in engineering in this virtual machine, I'm highly inconvenienced. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Update: After giving up at 2 AM yesterday morning, I tried again at 6 AM when I woke up. Boot Camp does not hang anymore. I installed Parallels Tools (I performed this previously, to no avail) and for some reason now both my trackpad and my Apple Bluetooth mouse work now.

I have to activate Windows XP again, and shared networking doesn't work, but at least I'm somewhat back in the game now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. brucereynolds

brucereynolds Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

I'm having the same problems as the others and have followed all these instructions with no resolution. I've also tried suggestions given to me by Parallels Support with no results. What do you suggest I do now?

7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

mudshark1,
    I am glad that everything is working now.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

iDrinkKoolAid,
    I suppose that there was a problem with drivers in VM.
    Speaking about your shared networking problem, could you please specify your version of Mac OS and build number of Parallels Desktop?

brucereynolds,
    could you please tell me how did the problem occur?
    Do you have a Boot Camp VM?
    Did you use a Transporter?
    What is the version of your Mac OS and Parallels Desktop?
    What type of Mac do you have?

Best regards,
    Stacey

8. iDrinkKoolAid

"I suppose that there was a problem with drivers in VM.
    Speaking about your shared networking problem, could you please specify your version of Mac OS and build number of Parallels Desktop?"

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I got the networking working again, after selecting 'default adaptor.'

I am using OS 10.5 and and my build number is 5160.

Cheers

9. iDrinkKoolAid

I spoke in haste, as networking is dysfunctional presently under Windows XP. I cannot update my virus definitions or surf the Web. As stated before, I'm using Leopard and my Boot Camp partition in Parallels.

The pop-up message I see in Windows XP is that "My networking may be limited..." although this results in an unusable networking.

Thank you for your help in advance.

10. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please check this article to solve the issue.

Best regards,
    Stacey

11. iDrinkKoolAid

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I did try all three procedures you've listed, but without success.

I would like to update my virus definitions, and use my BBC iPlayer, as I used to when I was using Parallels under Tiger (I'm using Mac OS 10.5.1 presently).

If there are any other procedures, I could try, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

12. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you try to use solutions listed here? Issues 11 and 17.

Best regards,
    Stacey

13. brucereynolds

brucereynolds Bit poster

Hi Stacey

No Boot Camp VM
    Yes, I used Transporter
    Problems under both OS 10.4.xx and 10.5.1
    Parallels 4560 and also when I tried to upgrade to 5160
    Problems on MacBook Pro and iMac

I followed the instructions in this thread to repair from Windows CD. Repair goes find, but after I reinstall Parallels Tools, the same problem persists.

Any further suggestions??? I'd really like to get this worked out. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  14. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

15. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Bit poster

Still having this problem in Jan 2008. Surely there is an update to Parallels by now?

Gave Parallels (version 3.0, build 5582.0) as a Xmas present to my partner with a MacBook (2.16GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 10.5.1, all current updates, Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, Windows XP (SP2) running perfectly in Boot Camp).

We are unable to get past the initial Windows Product Activation setup screen, because we can not capture the mouse or keyboard. Have tried all reasonable suggestions here including installing MacFuse and trying a cabled USB mouse, to no avail.

Surely at his point it's reasonable to be expecting an updated version of Parallels that addresses this issue?

Jeffreyg

16. brucereynolds

brucereynolds Bit poster

Reply to jeffryg

Hi Jeffrey,

I had similar problems and all the ideas from support didn't work for me. I had initially used Transporter and migrated from Virtual PC etc. I decided to make a brand new virtual machine and used Windows XP service pack 2 and installed the new virtual machine, then loaded on all my software and everything worked fine. For me, something was wrong when I used Transporter to migrate over. You might set up a test virtual machine from scratch and see if you can get the mouse/keyboard to work.

I was able also to get my Virtual PC migrated drive to recognize keyboard/mouse by going into Parallels Tools and doing a custom install of the Tools. I deselected mouse synchronization and installed Tools and the keyboard did work. However, because of this I wasn't able to use Coherence etc.

By just making a new virtual machine and not using Transporter I was able to run Parallels Tools and install all under Tools and my new virtual machine has run just fine for quite some time now.

17. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Bit poster

Thanks for the helpful reply Bruce

I thought a new install of XP into Parallels was probably going to be the eventual answer, but the ease of using our existing Boot Camp install was a tempting shortcut, and one of the reasons I chose Parallels in the first place.

I'm still on xmas break, and my XP installer is at work, so we'll stick with Boot Camp until I can get my hands on it. Unless anyone from Parallels pops up with any helpful suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeffrey G

18. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

Jeffrey, did you try to use this article?

Best regards,
    Stacey

19. wagonheist

wagonheist Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

I'm using a 20" iMac with 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo on Leopard.
    I have Windows Vista installed on a partitioned drive. I am able to use Parallels to get into Vista and that's when it asks me to click in the screen to activate the keyboard and mouse. I am able to click in it but the keyboard and mouse do not function. I am however able to press Control and Option to release keyboard and mouse control.

I would appreciate your help on this matter.
    Thanks in advance.

B
    -----------
    Update: I was using 5582 when I encountered this problem. I tried installing 5582.5 and now I get stuck at the loading page where it shows Microsoft Corporation and the loading bar. Before I get to this screen, it will show me the options such as Safe Mode and Starting Windows Normally. I am able to use my keyboard on this screen and choose the options but I am unable to boot on all of the options given to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

B

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  20. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team