Parallels 16 upgrade issues - multiple problems, dont upgrade!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by WarrenH3, Aug 11, 2020.

1. ThomasS62

ThomasS62 Bit poster

Looking at the problems with parallels 16 ( on my Mac its also not running), I wonder if parallels has a QA/QC system in place or if its just NORMAL to sell software that doesn't work?

2. ThomasS62

ThomasS62 Bit poster

Looking at the problems with parallels 16 (on my Mac its also not running), I wonder if parallels has a QA/QC system in place at all or is it just NORMAL to sell software that doesn't work? And not doing anything about it. In fact it becomes dangerous to even use a Mac and being dependent on MAYBE Parallels works...

3. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

Thanks for the post. I got no other responses from my question above. I haven't yet re-attempted the upgrade from DT15 to DT16. Don't know what experiences people have with Big Sur and DT15 or the best sequence to upgrade.

4. Dott.V

Dott.V Bit poster

See that the problems I had had were fixed by Parallels right away. Also because every time Parallels Desktop crashed, I sent the bug report.
    Since then, and almost a year has passed... and Parallels Desktop 16 has always worked very well in my iMac 27'' (late 2013, Apple OTA improved) Parallels Desktop always improves after every update and is working perfectly even with macOS Big Sur that I have installed via the Micropatcher 0.5.1, as my Mac is not officially supported for Big Sur. I have to say, in fact, that Parallels Desktop works even better with Big Sur.
    I make a clarification:
    if you have Macs with Fusion Drive you have to resign yourself to a slow start of Parallels Desktop since Fusion Drive copies the entire virtual machine to the SSD disk each time and then starts.
    I solved it by deleting the Fusion Drive and inserting an internal SSD instead of the mechanical Hard Disk and (hear hear ...) placing the parallels Virtual Machine (Winzozz 10 Pro) on the 128GB Apple SSD disk that belonged to the Fusion Drive. The tests say the 128 GB Apple SSD of the iMacs (late 2013) reads at 700MB / sec. and writes at 400MB / sec. So! Now, Winzozz 10 Pro starts like lightning and runs flying :)

johngrins likes this.
  5. AndreaB16

AndreaB16 Bit poster

same issues here with latest NX. it is all very annoying. how can we have them fix it quickly?

6. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

For reference installation of DT16 16.1.3-49160 still doesn't result in a usable Windows environment. I upgrades to BigSur (perfect no problems) thought I'd try DT16 install now with Big Sur. Installation process was straight forward, downloaded, installed, launched Windows VM, DT tools automatically installed, rebooted VM, Quicken will not launch, just hangs. Like before can't force quit Quicken, or Windows, have to restart Mac OS to recover. Rolled back to DT15 and DT Tools, everything works fine. 2018 MacMini with 32gb. Windows VM (not bootcamp).

7. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

Parallels support it appears was able to figure out my mysterious DT15 to DT16 upgrade issues. Windows System File Check "SFC \scannow" found an error in a system file that DT15 didn't care about but DT16 did. For reference, I had a VM imported from a Bootcamp partition. This was a problem that was vexing my upgrade since summer 2020. Problem was not related to Quicken or File Explorer. Good job Parallels support team.

8. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

Well, spoke too soon.... a day later Windows attempted a software update and DT16 froze up. No recovery, back to DT15.

9. AndreaB16

AndreaB16 Bit poster

Same with NX @PD team PLEASE PLEASE FIX IT!!!