Why am I only able to use 604 MB ram max with paralells?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dorian88, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dorian88

dorian88 Member

I have a total of 3GB of ram and paralells tells me I cannot use more than 604 MB of ram. Why is it telling me this?

It was letting me run 512 MB when I had 1 gb of ram so I don't know why only 604 MB max if I have 3 GB memory.

I am running boot camp through parallels.

Thanks.

Dorian

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    how did you configure your memory settings? There are two possible memory settings: whole memory size that PD can using in it work (at the Preferences from Parallels Desktop menu group) and memory size for corresponding VM (at the VM properties - Edit->Virtual Machine menu item)

3. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

If you want to make more RAM available to your VM than recommended value, you need to increase "Memory Limit" to about x1.5 more than you are allocating RAM to the VM ("Parallels Desktop" menu - "Preferences" - "Memory")

Best regards,
    John

4. dorian88

dorian88 Member

Thanks for your reply.

Should I have the memory limit in the preferences menu set to automatically or adjust it manually?

I originally configured by memory setting from the edit>virtual machine menu.

""If you want to make more RAM available to your VM than recommended value, you need to increase "Memory Limit" to about x1.5 more than you are allocating RAM to the VM ("Parallels Desktop" menu - "Preferences" - "Memory")""

Could you explain this in more detail?

Do you mean the increasing memory limit for Mac OSX usage?

Thanks.

5. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

At the Edit->Virtual Machine dialog you setting memory that can using corresponding VM. Also you can specifying how much memory can using Parallels Desktop for it work (for all it's VMs running simultaneously and for it virtual infrastucture) - this setting available at Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Memory. Setting of memory for VM can't to be more than setting of memory for common PD environment.

6. lahaina99

lahaina99 Bit poster

It seems like PD 3 takes all of the "Memory Limit" (896 megs) as soon as it starts. Since this seems to be the case, then why would I want my XP virtual machine (the only VM I run) to be configured with any less than 896 megs. i.e., as long as it is allocated, then why not just let the VM use it all rather setting it to, for example 512 megs?