Path for kernel 5.9.1

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by (GalaxyMaster), Oct 17, 2020.

1. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

The former it is. Could you please provide detailed instructions on how to apply the patch? Thank you!

2. You did the patch use the patch file or manually modify the file, if you did it manually, watch out the first modification changed the flag value too

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

4. StefanN3

StefanN3 Bit poster

I applied the patch on a fresh Kali 2020.4 (three times) and always get the message, that the installation of Parallels Tools was successfull. After rebooting and logging in, the VM only shows a white screen.
    When I try to boot in the Recovery Mode it reads:
    Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
    Does anyone has an idea, how this could be solved?

lxc198 likes this.
  5. YuryZ

YuryZ Bit poster

Thanks for the patch, at least dynamic resolution is working now - but would about clipboard sharing? It still seems to be broken :(

6. DavidB90

DavidB90 Bit poster

Many thanks - this worked like a charm. I have tried about 20 other solutions, but you nailed it. I did have to have a few deep breaths (vodka) doing the manual diff but not that hard. Worked first time. Now if there were only a wireless adapter that worked with Kali in a Mac VM life would be perfect ;). Thanks again

7. YuryZ

YuryZ Bit poster

Just to correct my previous post: clipboard sharing is working correctly, if one switches Fedora to use Gnome on Xorg instead of Wayland session! I wasn't really aware of the fact that I've been using Wayland and now that I've switched to Xorg, sharing is working with fine again. Apparently it's simply not implemented in Parallels Tools for Wayland at the moment, and doesn't have anything to do with kernel upgrade.

Thank you very much, the author of the patch, for your excellent work!

8. StefanN3

StefanN3 Bit poster

There is a post with a solution in another thread. Disabling the 3D-Acceleration for the Kali-VM worked for me.

9. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

for those getting white screen on MacBook Pro with additional graphic card with latest Kali 2021.1 just switch off the option to always use high performance adapter.
    This in combination with the kernel patch allows me to run Kali 2021.1 with 3D-Acceleration enabled.
    Thanks for the DIFF file :)