2020.2 Kali Linux, Parallels Tools Error

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AaronW4, Jun 2, 2020.

?

Are you also having this issue?

1. Yes, I am unable to install Parallels Tools.

100.0%
  2. No, everything installs correctly!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MichaelR7

MichaelR7 Bit poster

Hey everyone,
    thanks a lot to @BrandonR7 - that was the missing piece. With the other mentioned 5-step changes from page 1 and also the "dirty workaround" to remove "~/.config/xfce4" before rebooting I was able to get Parallels Tools working on a brand-new Kali 2021.1 release!

Still really sad and disappointed that it's so bad supported from the official side. Have been a really long-term Parallels user for almost 10 years now.

karlemilnikka likes this.
  2. todonoghue

todonoghue Member

Installed Kali 2021.1 ARM. Works as installed but cannot get the Install-gui to run. Did a chmod u+x on the files copied from the Parallels Tools CD, permissions verified, shows as executable, but no reaction to right click > Run

3. MichaelR7

MichaelR7 Bit poster

Did you try running just ./install from the Terminal instead of the GUI version? I have to admit I've only tried the command line installer. If there are any errors there should be a log file at /var/log/parallels-<something>.log.

4. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

I retried installing 2021.1 with all the tweaks mentioned in this thread. This time it worked again, just like it did under 2020.4. Unfortunately, I don't know what I did differently.

I followed @electrifeye's instructions. Since Parallels has made https://kb.parallels.com/123968 unavailable, I had to get an archived version from the Wayback Machine. https://web.archive.org/web/20171106151406/https://kb.parallels.com/123968.

I tweaked prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c according to @EdwardG3's instructions.

5. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

(I still have to disable 3D acceleration or delete the XCFE4 folder, including all desktop settings, before every single logon.)

6. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

By the way, @Maria@Parallels. Do you want the working, tweaked version of prl_mod.tar.gz? I can post it here in the forum if it's allowed by the license and the forum rules. Please let me know.

7. todonoghue

todonoghue Member

8. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

That's interesting. I get the native resolution without even installing Parallels Tools.

9. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

I've tested switching to KDE and Gnome instead of XFCE and both works just fine (no white-screen issues). Both KDE and Gnome works with 3D acceleration enabled and Parallels Tools installed.

10. todonoghue

todonoghue Member

I just did another install, but used the Net-Installer version. Resolution is 1920x1200.

karlemilnikka likes this.
  11. cheesi

cheesi Bit poster

is this .gz working under Linux 5.10.0 ? If yes i search for such a editied .gz. Because i have problems to install the Parallels Tool under 5.10.0

12. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Yes. I have sent you a download link to the tweaked archive.

BehozanL likes this.
  13. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

@karlemilnikka Would you send the link to me as well, please? Thanks

14. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Sure. I've sent it to you in a DM.

15. PieterW2

PieterW2 Bit poster

16. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Sure. I'll DM you.

@Maria@Parallels, can we publish the tweaked archive here while we're waiting for an official solution? It's the original files tweaked according to the instructions and solutions provided by @electrifeye, @Devries, @BrandonR7 and @EdwardG3.

17. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

(No permanent fix for the white-screen issue though, but it works fine under both Gnome and KDE Plasma.)

18. RafaelE2

RafaelE2 Bit poster

I can't install Parallels Tools on Kali linux 2021.1. Using Parallels 16.1.3 (49160) after reading everything I found during 3 days. I get the typical make error. I would lke to know if there is a way to install. Thank you.

19. cheesi

cheesi Bit poster

Uninstall Paralles and install VirtualBox :). This what I did. Karlemilikka has some tweaked tar.gz file what you can use. He will help you out

20. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Yes, but all cred goes to @electrifeye, @Devries, @BrandonR7 and @EdwardG3. They did the hard work. I'll published the tweaked archive here if @Maria@Parallels allows it.