Upgrade query

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tattyjacket, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Tattyjacket

Tattyjacket Bit poster

Hi,
    I'll be honest, I haven't used Parallels for some time now but I am interested in using it again.
    I initially bought Parallels back in 2013. I have version 8 in the original pack, with disk and reg key.
    I'm guessing that I'll need an upgrade.
    I'm interested because my iMac has reached the stage where the OS can no longer update.
    I've treated myself to a new MacBook Air.....BUT. I'm looking at my old iMac and thinking, that it still works, still has about 700Gb of space and still has an amazing screen if nothing else.

Now, I remember back in the days that it was possible to have Windows and Ubuntu running on Parallels.
    At the moment, I'd be really interested in running Ubuntu alongside Mac OS Catalina but if that isn't possible, then I'd install Windows.

I s this course of action possible? Could I upgrade from Parallels Desktop 8 or would it be better to get a new version altogether?

Phil

2. Hello, you can upgrade your Parallels Desktop to the latest version.
    Also please note that only Parallels Desktop 16 is compatible with the macOS Big Sur, for more information about the compatibility please check this KB article.
    If you have any additional questions please let us know.

3. Tattyjacket

Tattyjacket Bit poster

Hi, I eventually decided to purchase a new version of Parallels. Now, I'll be honest, my past experience of using Parallels wasn't too good an experience. It worked well for about a year but then became so slow and unresponsive, well, you really had to be desperate to actually try using a Windows application. At the moment though this is a totally different experience. I've installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04. Both load really quickly...about ten seconds and appear to work flawlessly. Huge thanks.

4. Thanks a lot for your warm words!
    Please let us know if we can do something for you in future.