Parallels Tools 16.1.3 still doesn't include fix for kernels >= 5.9.0

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Shameful how we pay a subscription fee just to have to continually do our own code maintenance.

IoannisL, RonnyR and MathewM1 like this.
  2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Been using the same three lines of code to patch for a while now. Seems to still work (even with .17 this morning), but we shouldn't have to be doing this.

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I should add that I'm running Fedora x86_64 architecture.

5. DadiM

DadiM Bit poster

Any help for the resolution after applying the patch ?

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I'm running FC33 on an MBP at 2880x1800. Was there a resolution problem that I wasn't aware of?

7. cheesi

cheesi Bit poster

Is there any fix out there to use parallel tools with >5.9.0 kernel? If so please help me out. Thanks

8. reputati0n

reputati0n Bit poster

shame of parallels desktop

9. Hello guys,
    could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please and post the report's ID here?
    We are looking forward to your reply.

10. cheesi

cheesi Bit poster

Yes it is. I asked already for a refund. The granted my refunds, so thanks for this. But i currently use VirtualBox and works greate with Linux =>5.9.0

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

You're kidding, right?

You guys collect subscription money for an updated version of Parallels in September that only supports a kernel that's already in use. Kernels are basically updated twice a week throughout the year. Every November (and May) a new major kernel rolls out which breaks Parallels. In short, the update lasts a total of 2 MONTHS before some of us investigate and provide our own home-fixes until you finally incorporate WHAT WE DO the following September. Until then, the usual response is "Sorry, we don't support that kernel".

This nonsense has been going on FOR SEVERAL YEARS. I doubt very much giving you a tech report to satisfy your bureaucracy will solve anything until you prioritize the way you deal with Linux updates. You used to have a guy that did that. Seems he's long gone.

12. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

As it would happen, Fedora 33 just rolled out Kernel 5.11.7, which just broke the current user-driven fix for Parallels Tools. This has almost become untenable.

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro