Parallels Mounter loss

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jchapman9, Aug 24, 2020.

1. jchapman9

jchapman9 Member

I still have XP systems in VMs that are now getting into the Authentication loop, so are unusable - the easiest way to fix the problem is to mount the VM disk using Mounter and work round the problem, however, I only get another 30 days before the problem resurfaces. Unless you have Mounter hidden in the PDM, somewhere, I'll have to go back to PDM 15 until you release 17 with the command line version.

2. Hi, you can add your hard drive as a second drive to another VM.
    And add your suggestions here.
    Please let us know what we can do for you in the future.

3. zhangwei1864

zhangwei1864 Bit poster

Is there any other way to mount a hdd file without starting Parallels Desktop 16 other than the solution you gave?

4. zhangwei1864

zhangwei1864 Bit poster

Is there any other way to mount a hdd file without starting Parallels Desktop 16 other than the solution you gave? (I seem to have forgotten to quote your posting, so I post it again now to let you know)

5. Hello, the mounter option has been disabled in Parallels Desktop 16.
    As a possible solution you can add your hard drive as a second drive to another VM and get your files.
    Please check this out for more information.

6. RobertS69

RobertS69 Bit poster

WHY HAS IT BEEN DISABLED??? Do you know how much time it costs investigating why something that worked no longer does?
    It's a pity that when you advertise a new "improved" release of your blessed software that you don't take the troubled to say:
    "Oh yeah, BTW, this function that you just to enjoy no longer exists".

7. JoelS8

JoelS8 Bit poster

I am having a similar problem with an authentication loop for Windows XP. I have mounted the VM as a second drive, but what do I do then? I changed the boot order of the hdd to the one with the problem but I still get the "a problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005". How do i get into the "vpm" to get a file from one of the windows applications I used until last month? Thanks

8. JoelS8

JoelS8 Bit poster

After some time, and I don't know why, the mounted second drive showed up on my finder window on the Mac. I was able to retrieve the file. I may have to wipe out the original parallels and reinstall Windows XP.

9. JoelS8

JoelS8 Bit poster

Is there a reason the problem resurfaces every 30 days? I installed the Windows XP with the correct code, but I now I caluculate it was about 30 days when I got the problem. So if I reinstall everything I am afraid I will get the authentication problem again. By the way, on my second "pvm" i have a different copy of windows xp, migrated through successive machines/parallels. So far this hasn't had a reauthentification issue.

10. ChrisS26

ChrisS26 Bit poster

Can support clarify why this was removed? There are many scenarios where the mounter is a critical tool (for example Windows just destroyed itself doing an update but now I can't access the drives at all).

Do you expect the tool to be reinstated? or maybe only provide it in the Pro version or something?

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Mounter functionality was deprecated because of a very low usage while it's rather complicated to support. The virtual machine .pvm/.pvs/.hdd files are no longer associated with Parallels Mounter. In future versions of Parallels Desktop, this functionality will be available via the command-line interface (CLI) only. You can find other deprecated features in this article.

12. ChrisS26

ChrisS26 Bit poster

Ok - is there a document on how to use the command line tools?

13. Hi, please check this document and let us know if it's not that case.

14. RichardRahl

RichardRahl Bit poster

Can you specifically tell me how to use the Command-Line Interface to mount a virtual machine to my desktop? That user manual is NOT clear at all. If you're going to remove features from new versions, at least give us clear workarounds! I don't pay for fewer features!

15. RichardRahl

RichardRahl Bit poster

Nothing? My goodness, Parallels support is so unresponsive and bad! Not just here on the forum, but in my personal experiences with chat, phone calls, and e-mail. I'm shocked that Parallels support may be some of the worst I've ever encountered. Did not expect that when I bought the program. I won't make that mistake again...

16. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

The solution is the following: go to /Applications/Parallels Desktop. With the right side of the mouse, click Parallels Desktop ➔ Show Package Contents. You will see the Contents folder. Open it and switch to Applications and then you will find Parallels Mounter there.

Create an alias and move it to the desktop first. Then move this alias to the main Applications folder. Then right click on your virtual machine which you want to explore: click on "Other" and open it with this Parallels Mounter alias. At last you'll find a new "hard disk" on the left side of your Finder. Here is all you need!

I hope you understand my explantions. I'm German and not an English native speaker. If any thing is unclear, don't hesitate to ask me.

Kind regards
    (Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version))

MarcoC25 and MatthiasE5 like this.
  17. NicholasW8

NicholasW8 Bit poster

I've read some of your recommendations and reasoning here, and I want to say thank you

18. MarcoC25

MarcoC25 Bit poster

This worked! After spending half a day looking for a solution. Thanks a bunch!

19. DirkM14

DirkM14 Bit poster

I stumbled across this thread because I too am currently looking for a way to mount an "old" image.
    And I am writing this comment ONLY to confirm how ridiculously incompetent the official support is.
    I have already opened several tickets and what I have experienced is truly indescribable!
    My experiences are
    - Nobody gets in touch for months.
    - Questions are asked or solutions suggested where it's quite clear that the guy either didn't read or didn't understand my problem. (I don't know which is worse).