Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

Now I downloaded & installed build 21343 - and again no internet connection. I tried ipconfig/renew, but it did not work (timed out).

2. PetarZ1

PetarZ1 Bit poster

Hey, that's great - what does the performance look like?

3. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

I hit the following problem with Windows 10 Insider version: I use the optical design program OpticStudio by Zemax. Their licensing is done through a third-party program called Sentinel. Turns out that Sentinel does not support Win10 Insider, so although I am able to download OpticStudio to my Win10, it won't run because the license can't be activated.

4. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Junior Member

21359 is here

5. GeoffT5

GeoffT5 Bit poster

Rebooted Windows 10 ARM yesterday in latest Parallels with M1 support and now I don't seem to have any mouse or keyboard support within the virtual machine. Hoping someone can help me out.

6. GeoffT5

GeoffT5 Bit poster

I can't login to Windows to do that. It sits at the login screen when the first thing I was going to do was have it auto login but never got to it.

7. BradleyB3

BradleyB3 Bit poster

I can't get the Windows 10 VMDK to load, I try to open insider Preview for ARM64 version 21354, using the latest Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air m1, and it says Unable to Detect Operating System. I select Windows 10 and try to proceed with the installation, but I get error "Operation failed. Failed to execute the operation."

8. BradleyB3

BradleyB3 Bit poster

After trying to create a vm using the 18043 .iso, it fails and explains that the normal intel x64 architecture doesn't run on m1, and now when I select the 21354 ARM64 .vmdk it detects the operating system is Windows 10 now, and somehow I'm able to proceed with the install

Hope my workaround helps anyone else struggling with this

9. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

What about the windows hello fingerprint? The M1 has the fingerprint reader. Windows says it could not found a fingerprint scanner that works?

10. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Is Windows ARM64 likely to be affected by the new Windows PrintNightmare vulnerability? Should we, could we, be getting an update to address it?

11. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

I have now Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 installed. However, when I look at the Preview options, I am told I don't have sufficient resources for Win11 - see attached screenshot. Can anyone tell me how I determine the required resources under Parallels for Win11? Should I just ignore this message, as Win11 is installed & running?

Attached Files:

12. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

How did you get W11 to install? I tried it, and the installer told me that I don't have TPM 2.0, so the install couldn't proceed. So I'm stuck on W10ARM, which is working fine but of course I don't have the PrintNightmare fix.

Will we need a new licence code for W11, or will the W10 one continue to work?

13. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I'm in the Dev channel too, but can't get the update to download - it trips up on the TPM 2.0 thing.
    I'm wondering whether the fact that my W10 ARM isn't activated is why I can't get the update. I tried using my W10 licence key to activate, and was told it won't work. Possibly that's because it's a W10 Home key, and the version of W10 ARM I have is W10 Pro (build 21354.1)?
    How can I best get round this?

14. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I obtained a licence key for W10 Pro and activated successfully, but it hasn't helped. Not that the licence is wasted, since I will eventually need it anyway.

But, some progress in understanding, at least.

It appears that only Insiders who have been getting updates before 24th June were allowed to get W11 updates without TPM. Since I came onboard just after that, I don't qualify.

But now I am stuck some kind of loop. I am in the Dev channel, but the insider program was supposed to move me back to the W10 Preview channel (since my hardware doesn't qualify), and I need to be there to continue to get updates on W10 (e.g. 21H2 build 21390) - but the program didn't make that move. And my settings doesn't give me any way to move out of the Dev channel manually, so I am continuing to be offered un-installable W11 builds and no W10 builds. I suspect that I will have to withdraw entirely from the Insider program and start again, but I am concerned that might crash my whole Parallels Windows VM. And I can't find out whether Microsoft will let me back in again if I once opt out.
    Any ideas on how I can break this loop?

15. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Thanks for that perspective, and the links to get the upgrade to 21390. I followed the Parallels method, and the upgrade was successful. I'm not sure if my Insider registration is still linked to my Microsoft account or not, but as things are working OK I'm not disposed to worry about it.
    As you say, I will wait for Parallels to upgrade sufficiently for me to get W11.
    I realised that I wasn't going to get the PrintNightmare fix once I saw I couldn't get W11, so I'm resigned to it. I assume that there isn't a straightforward workaround? I'll just only run Windows when I have to, and it isn't very often.

16. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Thanks for all the help. I'll have to think about the printing.

17. Newheart42108

Newheart42108 Bit poster

Installation of Windows 10 ARM was successful on iMac 24". Now I am trying to install FileMaker Pro 19 on that VM. When I run the installer .exe I see the following dialog: Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.01.30 PM.png

Clicking Next does nothing. Is this because MS has not released versions of the Visual Studios and Windows Runtime for ARM yet?

18. NikitaM1

NikitaM1 Bit poster

I have problems while installation of W10 on macbook air m1. You just download and double-click on Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354.VHDX file and Parallels 17 is started? What settings do you setup for this?

19. KatieE

KatieE Bit poster

Joel, I'm running into the same issue with a CAD designer that uses Sentinel. Did you ever find a fix for this? Thanks!

20. JustinJ4

JustinJ4 Bit poster

Hi Joel,

I am facing similar issue with Sentinel. Did you find any solution on this?