Unable to install driver for system sound in Record Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by JensB9, Nov 28, 2020.

1. JensB9

JensB9 Bit poster

I tried to install the system sound driver I guess its called Parallels loopback, but it says that that is currently not possible and I should try later. Does anybody know what might be the problem? I also tried to reinstall Toolbox but with no luck. I am using macOS Big Sur.

Thanks for your support

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,
    could you please attach screenshot?

To correctly reinstall driver you have to:
    - Go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ folder and remove ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver folder. You should have admin rights to do it.
    - Restart your Mac
    - Launch Record Screen (or Record Area, Record Window) tool and choose 'Computer' value for 'Record audio from' option
    - Tools will ask you to install the driver and restart Mac again
    - Restart your Mac

Did it help?

MarkB51 likes this.
  3. DavidB86

DavidB86 Bit poster

This worked for me :)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. JulesD1

JulesD1 Bit poster

I also have a related issue. I have Parallels Toolbox 2.0.4 on a Mac Pro and 4.1.0 on a MacBook Pro, both with Catalina 10.15.7. The issue is exactly the same on both. I was not able to get the audio when recording a zone and choosing either "Same as system" or "Plantronics headset" (the audio recording was always from the external mike). After choosing "System audio", I got the message that a driver had to be installed and I selected to do it. Then I was told installation was almost complete and I had to reboot, which I did. But nothing changed. I looked for the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ folder (mentioned in this forum) and HAL was not there. I thus created HAL myself and this time the installation succeeded. So, clearly, the installer fails to check if HAL is present or not.

Now I can record audio with zone recording, but I cannot change the volume of the sound I hear in my headset while recording (I can only turn it off or on). If while recording I select my headset as output instead of Parallels Loopback, I can adjust the volume, but during that time, audio recording is not done. If I then go back to Parallels Loopback, audio recording resumes, but I hear nothing in my headset. So the only way to use zone recording is to preset the sound level in the headset to a level that will hopefully be acceptable during all the recording.

I suppose there is nothing I can do about that and that the only solution is to correct the bugs. But if there is something I can do, I'd like to know.

5. sergk

Hello
    Yes, we know about the problem with changing sound level while audio is being recorded. We're working on it and hopefully fix it in one of nearest releases.

6. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

I recently upgraded to macOS Big Sur, audio was not working with videos from the record window tool. I followed the steps above (deleting driver files, installing, restarting, etc.). Now the audio works when I view the recordings, but when using headphones through the audio port, no volume comes through when I'm recording the screen.

7. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

So if I do not use my headphones and opt for using "Internal Speakers" as sound then the audio is recorded using the record window tool. If I select "computer" for "Record audio from" (sound output is Parallels Loopback), then the audio does not record. For context, I am recording a webex video.

8. sergk

Hello
    Do you have same issue while recording other video (from youtube, e.g.)? Or the problem is with webex only?

9. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

Thanks for replying. It seems that the audio issue is only with Cisco Webex Training. The window and screen recording audio works with Webex Meeting.

10. sergk

Thanks for info. Yes, we currently have problems with recording of WebEx meetings/videos and continue to work on this issue.

11. RobL7

RobL7 Bit poster

This worked for me too!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  12. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

So it's interesting. After updating to macOS Big Sur in early January the audio with window/screen recording still worked with Cisco Webex Meetings (just not with Cisco Webex Training), up until a few weeks ago. I had the "record audio from" set to computer, but that no longer works when recording Cisco Webex Meetings (version 41.1.5.10). I deleted the ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver folder, restarted mac, then reinstalled, then restarted again, and I'm still having the same issue.

Of note, I'm using headphones plugged into the auxiliary audio port on my mac (intel-based), but that's never been an issue before and I don't think that's the problem now either. Audio works when window/screen recording youtube videos. MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Big Sur version 11.2.1 (20D74). Parallels Toolbox Version 4.1.1 (3698).

13. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

So I purchased AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro to see if it could record webex meetings, and it also did not record audio. (It installs an audio driver called Apowersoft Audio Device). This is getting to be ridiculous. I was able to record WebEx meetings (video and audio) without any problems with macOS Catalina.

14. NicholasJ6

NicholasJ6 Bit poster

Update: I ran AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro again, and it successfully recorded a WebEx meeting.

15. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

Is there another way of finding the driver? I do not even have a 'HAL' folder within Audio-->Plug-Ins. Thx.

16. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

Never mind that...I found the HAL folder and deleted the ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver folder. I have reinstalled the driver, and it still does not work. Please advise. Thx

17. sergk

Hello,
    could you please generate technical report and share it with us? https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107
    it is need to understand configuration of your system.

18. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

OK...done. Report ID 366299156. Do I need to do anything else? Thx

19. sergk

Lets check this:
    - Start screen recording
    - Open System Preferences application -> Sound -> Output
    - Select 'Parallels Loopback' in the list of output devices
    - Check the states of 'Output volume' slider and 'Mute' checkbox. What are the states?
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 10.18.48.png

20. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

Looks like this...see attached photo.

Attached Files: