Network problems with Big Sur

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TomD14, Mar 25, 2021.

1. TomD14

TomD14 Bit poster

I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to Big Sur and the latest version of Parallels. I use a Win10 VM for work to connect to work via VPN. Normally I connect over WiFi (Mac Host connects to WiFi home network and Win10 guest uses WiFi with unique IP address).

This configuration has worked for years: same Mac Host (MBPro), same Win10 VM, and same home router. Now however, I cannot use the VPN from Win10 when on wireless. Everything works perfectly from the Mac side, but when I am on WiFi in the VM, I get SSL errors connect to VPN.

If I switch over the ethernet and switch the win10 guest to use the 10/100/1000 port, it works fine. I thought it might be my home router (Orbi), so I bought a new Asus and it still has the same problem.

If I switch to bridged mode on the guest, it works over WiFi, but I can't RDP into my Win10 vm from other macs on my home network.

Any ideas?

2. abcd4

abcd4 Bit poster

i've the same problem.
    i've tried Parallels Desktop 16.0 and 16.1 with macOS 11.1, 11.2 and beta 11.3.
    I've tried also Vmware Fusion (12.0 and 12.1).
    The result is that both (Parallels and Fusion) have problem ONLY on VMs with bridged Wifi on some mac (mine is a MBP 16" 2019).

NAT mode is OK.
    NAT and Bridged mode with a usb-c gigabit ethernet interface is OK.

I've reported at Apple, it seems that is needed that Parallels devs talk with Apple devs on vmnet macOS feature.
    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/677034

3. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

This bug was a major pain as almost nothing worked right in bridged mode, only shared. Similar issues first reported here back in October and we got a workaround about a month ago.

Please try the following workaround:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine.
    2. Open its configuration https://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot flags.
    3. Paste the following system flags:

devices.net.vmnet.patch_mac=0
    devices.net.vmnet.allocate_mac=0

4. Start the virtual machine and check if the issue still remains.

Here's the original thread...
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/pd16-on-big-sur-vm-not-using-the-configured-mac-address.351236/

4. abcd4

abcd4 Bit poster

I've tried the Parallels workaround with no success, same problem on wifi bridged connection.

5. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Hmmm... I am running the latest PD16.1.3 (49160) on a 2020 MBP 13" and OSX 11.3 beta 6 build 20E5224a. Which network card do you have in your VM config? I have my Windows VM set up with the Intel Gigabit CT and my Debian VM is using the Pro1000. I have not tried the others but maybe that is part of the reason it didn't work for you? I do find that about half the time when I switch from my dock to wifi that I have to completely shutdown PD and restart it for windows to recognise the change but the boot flags workaround has resolved the private MAC address issue on all of my VMs.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 09.41.03.158.png

6. abcd4

abcd4 Bit poster

i've a Win10 VM with these network interface (attached image).

my mac is MBP 16" 2019 with this wifi network interface:
    AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x7BF)
    firmware: wl0: Feb 16 2021 03:05:58 version 9.30.444.10.32.5.67 FWID 01-3d719d60
    MacOS version: Beta di 11.3 (20E5224a)
    Parallels version: 16.1.3 (49160)

The problem that i'm encountering is on loading an intranet HTTPS web portal. Outside websites loading is OK. (See attached image)
    If i switch to a NAT mode or bridge on gigabit ethernet usb-c interface then the page loading goes fine.

Attached Files:

7. abcd4

abcd4 Bit poster

the strange thing is when the VM is on i see many bridge created, all in active status.

i've done a diff between network interfaces status with VM off and on.

Attached Files: