Leopard + Parallels + Dock Icons

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StefanM, Oct 29, 2007.

1. StefanM

StefanM Junior Member

Hi,

after Installation of Leopard and Parallels I created a new VM with Windows XP which is working fine, but there are too problems.

1. Mount of the disc, which is already posted several times here

2. I have no icons from the started applications in the VM in my Mac Dock.
    Any ideas? There is only the parallels logo but no logo of Internet Explorer or Outlook.

I also deleted all Files in the Windows Applications Folder where the VM HDD also is.
    After that I did a new Smart Select, but still no icons in the dock.

Is this is problem from parallels with leopard?
    I did not had this problem with Tiger.

Parallels is Version 5162

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Please, check your configuration settings.
    When your VM is on, before Windows has started, click "Configuration" -> "Shared applications".
    Find "Show in dock" option and choose "Always".
    Hope this will help.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. StefanM

StefanM Junior Member

This is already acitvated..

Also by default.

But this solves not the problem

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

So then it seems like this is the Leopard issue.
    Our QA Team is currently investigating this reported problem.
    We'll update you on the situation when the bug will be confirmed and any updates/workarounds will be available.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. Miss Mandy Mac

Miss Mandy Mac Bit poster

I'm having this problem too. It's not that the Windows programs aren't in the dock, they're there, the icon is just gone. Invisible. You can still click on the empty space and open the program, and when you put your mouse over that space, the name of the program shows up, it's just the little "e" for internet explorer isn't there, or the piece of mail for outlook isn't there, or whatever. It's just a cosmetic issue.

6. Miss Mandy Mac

It can be fixed by changing the icon in mac, but it's a pain to search the internet to find mac icons and then change them all, when before, it was just automatically there.

7. grouchonyy

grouchonyy Bit poster

My Icons ARE in the dock

I only had one (Street Atlas 2008) but it was there when I checked after reading this thread.

XPPro on a 2.33 MacBookPro running Leopard for three hours and counting.

8. Miss Mandy Mac

Mine were there too after I first installed Leopard, but parallels didn't work and I had to reinstall it. After that, the icons were gone.

9. StefanM

StefanM Junior Member

So what is the current status at this point?

I still have no icons, and i never had icons in leopard..

what to do now?

10. Miss Mandy Mac

I ended up just changing them myself. Not as easy as it used to be, but it works and it's better than being blank. I had to find all new icons (or make them with pic2icon) for my stuff, but at least I have my cute icons back. :)

Just go to your Windows Applications folder (Documents>Parallels>Microsoft Windows XP>Windows Applications) and choose the program you want to give an icon to.

I'm sure you already know how, but just in case, here's a tutorial on how to change icons, since Candybar doesn't work in leopard yet. :(

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304735

Hope this helps...

11. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I've been informed that this bug is already fixed in in a current beta 5540 and there it will be fixed in our upcoming update. I'd advise to wait for the update :)

Best regards,
    Alicia.

12. Ephra

Ephra Member

same prob

well, it's the 20th of november, ...I also don't have windowsapp's icons in my dock, just the little yellow ones.
    I hope it will be fixed SOON!

13. caitlin_10

caitlin_10 Bit poster

No icons showing!!!

I know this is an old discussion... BUT i have just installed parallels 3.0 on my new MBP (Vm is Windows XP) and no icons come up. Only the little yellow parallels icon.

I have checked the settings on my VM and it is on show Always.

What should I do? Is there an update i can download?? I have looked everywhere but can seem to find the answer? :/

Please help!

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you install Parallels Tools and enable Shared Folders?

15. caitlin_10

caitlin_10 Bit poster

Yeah did that... but i worked it out... just downloaded the 55** update and it works great now!!! :D

16. benschobenscho

benschobenscho Bit poster

Here too… Just small yellow signs, no windows icons :(

I have build 5600 installed and searched the complete web for help. Without luck. Above suggested settings are default after installing Parallels. Parallels Tools are intsalled and shared folders are enabled.

Does anybody have an idea? Please help!

Thanks for your efforts!

17. caitlin_10

caitlin_10 Bit poster

I found another thread in this forum ... spoke a bit about an update (5582)...so i tried it and it worked... the thread is at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18384&highlight=dock+icons+windows

It says in the update summary that it fixes the problem and it does.

If you go now to post number 7 it gives you the direct link to start the download.

I know you have a newer verison (5600) but this worked great for me.

Hope it helps...

18. benschobenscho

Dear Caitlin 10,

thanks for your suggestion. May be that would be a solution. But since build 5600 is running stable and satisfying for me, except the icon displaying problem, hopefully I can avoid switching back in time. Also logically it does not make too much sense to me why an already solved problem (in build 5582) should re-appear in newer build.

@ Parallels Team: Any idea from your side?

19. benschobenscho

Solved :) Update to build 5608 and - BINGO - win icons are displayed.