Tools Patch Procedure

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Nov 28, 2020.

1. JeffreyI

JeffreyI Bit poster

Hi everyone, how long normally does a patch work? I got no response for about 10-15 minutes, and I just quit (ctrl-c). I copied via SCP (enabled remote login on my mac). then I did patch -p1. but it seemed to do nothing (not even the echo commands) for 10-15 minutes...

2. JeffreyI

JeffreyI Bit poster

Update: worked with patch -p1 < <file>... so somehow redirection works...

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

If it takes a minute to apply the patch to the code then it's gone on too long. Should be nearly instantaneous.
    However, rebuilding Tools with the patched files takes quite a long time though, because it essentially runs it three times - once for each installed kernel.

4. CA_1

CA_1 Bit poster

Thank you. Once I read the instructions properly it worked perfectly!

Mark Fine likes this.
  5. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello, We are glad that the issue is resolved. You are welcome. Thanks, Parallels Team.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Parallels Team's first ever participation into this thread of 24 posts is to say "your welcome" to a "thank you" that was clearly meant for someone else. Brilliant.

ClemensO and AliR12 like this.
  7. AntonioA12

AntonioA12 Bit poster

Please, some instructions for Dummies?
    Thanks

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

As stated, this is not a process that Dummies should bother with.
    If you can't follow nor understand the directions of the first post then I recommend you forget it was ever mentioned.

9. AntonioA12

AntonioA12 Bit poster

Dear Mark Fine,
    although a Dummie I can minimally follow some instructions as I've already done many times despite not being a computer expert.
    In this particular case I did the same with no positive results. Therefore, this is not, at least for me, "detailed, step-by-step instructions".
    First of all, when you started posting, what is the system information you are trying to fix?
    In my case, I tried to install Parallels tools in Fedora 16 (5.18.8-200.fc36.aarch64) hosted in a MacBook Air (M1 chip, macOS Monterey 12.4) running Parallels Desktop (17.1.4.51567). If your post is not suitable for my system just tell me and I won't waste time on this and try to find a better solution.
    Apart from this, I have some doubts because in your post it is not clear to me:
    • Should I use prl-tools-lin.iso or prl-tools-lin-arm.iso? | I've tried it with both.
    • patch -p1 <patch filename> | to "filename" do your refer to prl-tools.patch, which I've found elsewhere?
    In any case, as this is a Parallels Forum, I highly encourage and appreciate the Parallels Team to fix this issue.
    Best regards.

Disclaimer: English is not my native language. Please keep this in mind if I made any mistakes or misunderstandings.
    P.S. I just realized that the post date is too old to refer to my system and found another post initiated by GalaxyMaster (hope I have better luck here)

10. TanB1

TanB1 Bit poster

Thanks Mark! That was really helpful. I managed to get it patch successful after multiple trial and error. Realised that the patch file have to be within the folder to work and not outside of the folder. Also need to run patch -p1 < <file> instead of patch -p1 <file>. That for my case. Finally resolved the headache of without "copy and paste"

Mark Fine likes this.
  11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

It's suitable for a 5.18.x kernel and especially for FC36. The instructions were detailed and clear as many others have been able to follow them with little to no issues.

The fact that you have to ask whether to use an ARM- or non-ARM-based iso to rebuild the tools on an ARM-based, M1 chip machine is a massive problem from the start.

12. mishka

mishka Bit poster

Mark, thanks for the instructions. Though clear, it's worth noting that some people are just trying to get a little bit of extra advice and you're taking things way too personally with snidey comments. Everyone has to start somewhere. Relax a little :)

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I don't take anything personal, certainly not anything on the internet. I'm just correcting the person who said it wasn't clear enough for them, when it was clear they didn't have the delineated skills.