Failed Windows 10 Update on M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MarkByrn, Apr 14, 2021.

1. MarkByrn

MarkByrn Member

Just upgraded to Parallels Version 16.5.0 (50692) on my M1 Macbook Pro and can't upgrade my Windows 10 machine to Windows 10 Insider Preview 21359.1 - just get an Error 0xc1900101 (There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later) which Microsoft can explain to be anything. Anybody else have a similar issue or fix?

2. RonaldW5

RonaldW5 Bit poster

Same here, got an error running Windows Update.

3. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Windows 10 Insider Preview 21359.1 (co_release) - Error 0xc1900101

4. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

It worked for me. Generally, most of these errors are related to download issues. I would make sure that the Parallels upgrade did not mess with your network by running a browser window. Then reboot and retry.
    I have had them with the Preview in the past and that solved it.

5. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Keep trying. It will eventually download it.

6. GrangerFX

GrangerFX Junior Member

I had several Windows update errors like this. Each time I downloaded a new copy of Windows for ARM and made a new VM for it. Windows for ARM is still experimental so updates will not be fully automatic the way they are in released versions of Windows 10.

7. BillB10

BillB10 Bit poster

Installing Parallels 16.5 for the first time on a new Mac mini M1. We were using BootCamp on an Intel based Mac. Windows ARM is saying they require a previous version of Windows to install the ARM based preview. Parallels 16.5 won't let us install an intel based version of Windows and I can't install the ARM base with the Intel base. How do we go about doing this on a fresh install of Parallels?

8. GrangerFX

GrangerFX Junior Member

A M1 Apple Silicon Mac won't be able to run an Intel version of Windows probably ever. The best you can do is run Windows for ARM (which is still in development). That OS does have Intel emulation so you may be able to run your Intel compiled applications using that OS in Parallels. This is the best you can do for now. Hopefully there will be a way to boot a M1 Mac from an external drive containing Windows for ARM at some point but Apple would have to provide drivers for its systems which I suspect is unlikely.

9. MarkByrn

MarkByrn Member

Rebooting the Macbook managed to fix the issue - thanks much.