Chromium OS (ARM) w/ Parallels M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JamesR40, Apr 15, 2021.

1. JamesR40

JamesR40 Bit poster

Good afternoon!
    Has anyone tried to boot the ARM version of Chromium OS through Parallels on an M1 Mac? I would be curiuos to see if it would work.
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

do you have a link to the download? I tried searching but it takes me to the site that has "builds". I need the latest Arm build I think.

3. JamesR40

JamesR40 Bit poster

I was looking at the same site you were (it's a developer in the UK).

4. mobidutch

mobidutch Bit poster

I could post a new thread but decided to resurrect this old one...

I have downloaded 3 flavors of arm64 ChromiumOS builds. They were in BIN format, so I tried to convert that to ISO and create a new VM in Parallels for Mac M1, booting from that ISO. Unfortunately I never get past the BIOS, it simply does not recognize the ISOs as valid/bootable. I don't think the images contain a bootloader, if that is a technically correct way of saying it.

Has anyone had any luck installing some flavor of Chromium OS for arm64/aarch64 into Parallels for Mac (M1)?

5. JohnR64

JohnR64

The ISO format doesn't support the structure of the ChromeOS image. These "bin" files are actually just plain img files with multiple partitions as needed by ChromeOS. If you rename the file to img you can actually mount it, though partitions won't be visible because macOS doesn't support the chromeOS file system.